Chapter Three

"What if she mutates again?" 

"I believe she may learn to control it, just as some of you have."

"What about the villagers? After what happened, I don't think some of them are going to be pleased."

"Everything has been taken care of. We need to use this to our advantage." 

I awaken to the sound of unfamiliar voices, their words slowly lulling me out of my sleep. I open my eyes to be met with a somewhat dark room. I push my sore body up to a more comfortable position, although I was already in a sitting one. I rubbed my eyes tiredly, trying to get any lingering sleep out of my head. As my consciousness returns to me, slowly memories of my family return as well. Oh my god. I remember what happened. 

Where was Jack? I think I had started bleeding before I blacked out. Clearly I wasn't in any medical area at the moment, so I had to be okay, right? My concern for Jack took over concern for my own wellbeing. Concern for Lilly is present too. She sounded terrified...

I finally get a look around the cold, gray room. It appeared to be an old church, probably abandoned. The walls were tall, leading up to a roof with holes in some spots, little bits of sunshine leaking through. In the room with me were a few people. My eyes are first drawn to an extremely tall lady sitting a few feet away from me, wearing a surprisingly nice, white dress. A few more feet away were a lady wearing black funeral garb, and a disfigured, bitter looking man. I try to not gaze at him for too long, but I quickly noticed his webbed hands and gill-like scars. Across from me, next to the disfigured man, sits a man with long gray hair, dressed in a dirty hat, round black glasses, and a long, frayed coat. He seemed about as creepy as the odd fish man next to him. 

As I inspect the odd people surrounding me, I'm overcome with a sense of deja vu. I bite the skin on my lip, trying to recollect something- anything. Slowly but surely, little memories of Mother Miranda come back to me. As I piece them together, I don't need every part to understand what had happened. That woman had done something to me, and there was no doubt in my mind that it was the reason I'd been gone from my family. Guaranteed it also caused my most recent black out.

"Look, look, she's awake!" A shrill, child like voice shrieked from beside me. I flinched, having been brought out of my thoughts, and looked down to see a doll. Or maybe it was a puppet. Whatever it was, it sent a chill down my spine. She tilted her head at me like a dog, and it almost looked like a smile was forming on her lifeless face. 

"That was faster than I expected," A voice I recognized as Mother Miranda's spoke from the other side of the room. I whipped my head around to look at her once more, frustration beginning to boil inside me. "You're stronger than I thought you'd be."

"What did you do to me?" I asked her, my jaw clenched. She smiles, and I can only think about wiping that patronizing look off her face. 

"It was only a small experiment. I didn't lie to you, (Y/N). You're a better version of yourself now." She explains, her voice calm and motherly. It makes me feel like I'm being spoken down to. Like I'm nothing but a child to her. 

"Can you stop speaking in riddles and explain what the hell that means?" I glared at the woman, ignoring the other people in the room who watched me in silence. 

"Look under your bandages! On your arms!" The doll beside me spoke, excitement soaking through her voice as she watched me eagerly. I looked down at my arms to see white bandages wrapped tightly around them from the elbow down. I was quick to unwrap my arm, starting at my wrist and not going down too far in the case I had to re-wrap them. I tensed up at the sight of my own flesh.  My arm was covered in eyes, which opened up to reveal the same color as my own. Blurry, confusing images begin to pop into my head, quickly disorienting me. I was looking through my new eyes for the first time, and I hardly even knew it. I began to feel queasy, disturbed at my new, confusing ability. I hastily wrapped my arm back up, feeling a bit of relief as the eyes closed and my vision went back to normal.