Chapter Nine

My head was spinning. Once again, time seemed to fly by, and I found that a month had seemed to pass me. I had finally adjusted to the little shack I was staying in, and although it was filled to it's brim with cobwebs, I found it quite cute. Under different circumstances, I think I really would've loved it. So would Jack.

I groaned, leaning back from where I sat and falling into the wet grass. It was just barely morning. The sun came up a couple of hours ago, I had finished my personal training, and I was already thinking about him. Then again, it would be hard not to considering he was the reason I woke up at the ass crack of dawn to exercise. 

With a sigh, I stood up to walk the short path through the woods to my current abode. It didn't exactly have running water, and I was a little bit too sweaty for my comfort. Yes, I knew I had to get used to being dirty considering my circumstances, but with my new body it was a little harder to bare. Sweat and dirt in one's eyes isn't exactly comfortable. On an impulse, I decided to take the few extra minutes to head over to Heisenberg's factory. I knew he had fresh bandages  and running water, not to mention he was closer than Lady Dimitrescu, so it sounded like a better decision than feeling gritty all day. 

The walk there was quick. Either my stupid powers were starting to kick in or I had gotten used to walking this much, but it felt like I got there faster and faster every day. Without a second thought, I burst through the door to Heisenberg's garage. I'd been spending quite a bit of time with him lately, and considering we had started a sort of partnership, I felt I should be able to come into his factory as I pleased. We had boundaries, but I could only be formal for so long. 

Heisenberg sat at his table, concentrated on whatever it was he was writing. 

"You're here early," He said, not bothering to look up. "What's going on, guard dog?" 

I waited for a moment before speaking, trying to think of the least awkward way to word this. 

"Well, I know you have running water, and I kind of need to take a shower." I explained, feeling a little bashful. He wrote a few more words before seeming to process what I said, throwing his pencil down and turning around to look at me. His brows were furrowed into an expression I couldn't quite place. 

"Why didn't you just go to Dimitrescu's place?" He questioned. 

"She's too far away," I groaned, attempting to wipe the sweat off my arms. "I can feel the sweat going in my eyes and I want it off as quick as I can." I explained, motioning to the eyes peering through cracks in my bandaged arms. Heisenberg stood up with a sigh. 

"Alright kid, follow me." 

I walked behind him through the halls, heading towards the center of his factory. This time he lead me up a set of rusty stairs I hadn't been up before. To be fair though, I really hadn't been around much of the factory anyways. As my days became busier, I spent less time here, which was ironic considering how often I was here. I was quite curious as to what was inside the factory though. Heisenberg was so secretive about his "projects", and despite telling me so much about them, I was never allowed to see them, much less hear any details. As he lead me down hallways, I could hear the whirring of machines that did lord knows what. I could only imagine. 

"Alright, here it is." He stopped at a door. "Just," He turned around, bending down to my level and looking me straight in the eyes. Or at least, I assumed he was through those stupid glasses he always wore. "Don't go snooping through my shit again. This is my room, so if you do, I'll know." 

Well damn, that's one way to be creepy I guess. I followed him through the door into his oddly depressing room. A dirty mattress lay in one corner of the small room, along side a beat up dresser, and... well, that was about it. A few random objects were scattered across his dresser, and few balls of crumpled up paper were thrown across the floor, and there was nothing else but the dirty, peeling wallpaper. It felt lonely. 

"Here's the bathroom," He sighed. "The towels are already in there, just make sure-" Heisenberg stopped, tilting his head and furrowing his brows. "Did you even bring clothes with you?" 

I smacked the palm of my hand against my forehead. 

"Damn it, I knew I was forgetting something!" What a genius I was, huh? I'd been wearing the same pair of clothes for one day too many now, and really, what was the point of showering if I would just be getting into the same nasty, sweaty clothes again. "I guess this'll just have to wait."

"No, you're already here and I can't stand to smell you another day. You can just borrow some of mine." The man grumbled, stomping over to his dresser and combing through it. Despite him being a total jerk about it, I felt oddly flattered that he'd think to do something like that for me. Only a little bit though. He was being a jerk today. 

Heisenberg walked back over with some clothes in hand. He gave me an off-white button up shirt and some brown pants with noticeable holes. 

"They're definitely big, but it's the best I've got. It's not something I ever wear anyways." He muttered. He quickly dropped the clothes into my hands, and and walked out of the room, borderline slamming the door. I flinched slightly. Something was definitely off with him today. 

I shrugged it off, remembering the fact that the dude was a weirdo and I was stuck in a cursed village. I couldn't let myself be as surprised as I was getting. I walked into the restroom, which was dingy to say the least. The whole factory was obviously old, but you could see it even more here. The whole room, which was likely once quarters for workers who needed it, was so grey and dreary I was almost impressed it was still standing. I turned the rusty shower handle, and with a miserable screech, the water began to run after a few seconds. 

Was this seriously where Miranda had Heisenberg living? Lady Dimitrescu was living like royalty, while this place was on the verge of collapsing. You could smell the favoritism from miles away.

I quickly took off my sweaty clothes, and stepped into the shower. The water wasn't cold, but it wasn't exactly warm either. I shivered a bit. It wasn't the best, but I was grateful to at least get the grime out of my eyes. The eyes covering my body, that is. God, I hated them. Most of them covered my arms, the rest around my torso and few going down my legs. It looked gross. It felt gross. They not only made me look like a total freak, but were a nuisance as well. Bitterly, I scrubbed my arms, making sure not to poke those damned eyes in the process. 

What would Jack think of them? I rinsed the soap off my body, and began scrubbing the dirt out of my hair. I thought about that a lot. Could things ever truly go back to normal? Even if we managed to kill Miranda and break the curse, would I really be able to return to society? Or my engagement? I knew I had to be positive, but part of me knew deep down my old life would never be possible again. No amount of determination could change that. 

I stood under the water, not moving. I closed my eyes, tilting my head upwards and letting the water run down my face. I needed to stop stressing over it. I was doing everything I could. Besides, I knew Jack would love me unconditionally. He was perfect like that. 

I turned the water off, stepping out of the shower and using the thin towel I had to dry myself off. I grabbed the button up shirt Heisenberg gave me, slipping it over my head. It clung slightly to my skin in areas where I was still damp, but it was definitely big. I got the rest of my clothes on as quickly as I could, and ran my fingers through my hair a few times to get any tangles out. I felt a lot better now, but my eyes ached. I did my best to keep the eyes on my arms closed, and I pulled the sleeves of my shirt over them. With a sigh, I grabbed my bag, and decided it was finally time I found my way back out of this damned place. 

I pushed the door open out of Heisenberg's room, taking one last look around it. I felt kinda bad for the guy. His room just felt so sad, more than the rest of the factory did. How'd he get pulled into this mess? I gently closed the door, feeling oddly melancholic. I guess this sucks for the both of us. I began walking down the hallway, staring at my feet, when I realized I didn't know where I was going. I have a horrible sense of direction, and I haven't been in this part of the factory before. Shit.