Chapter 6. Emotional Attachment

In the final weeks leading up to the Battle of Christophsis, Clodd and Ahsoka find themselves in the middle of a hand-to-hand sparring match surrounded by their peers as well as Jedi Master Yoda himself. Clodd's uncle is watching the match too. Despite Ahsoka's best efforts, Clodd manages to block and or dodge all of her attacks, until eventually he sends her to the ground in defeat. Applauded by his peers, Clodd receives praise from Jedi Masters Yoda and Cann.

   "Done well you have," says Yoda. "Proud your father would be."

   The boy bows and says "My thanks, Master Yoda. You trained me very well."

   As Ahsoka gets up from the ground, she asks Clodd "How were you able to do that anyway?"

   Clodd scratches the back of his head. "Well, it wasn't easy. I had to memorize your combat style from previous matches in order to pull it off."

   Ahsoka crosses her arms. "Ohh. I see. So you just anticipated?"

   The boy shrugs. "Pretty much."

   "Huh. Well...Color me impressed. I bet you can't do it again though."

   Clodd chuckles a bit. "You're on."

   Later on, Clodd and Ahsoka spar in front of their peers once more. This time, Clodd appears to be struggling against his opponent. Incredibly, Ahsoka Tano has managed to change up her hand-to-hand fighting style just enough to catch her opponent off guard. As a result, the spar has tipped in her favor and Ahsoka manages to defeat Clodd. The boy and the rest of his classmates are stunned.

   Master Yoda comments "Hmm. A surprising outcome this is."

   "Indeed," says Cann. "Tano truly is a resourceful fighter, much like Anakin Skywalker."

   "Agreed."

   As Clodd gets up from the ground, he tells Ahsoka "Not gonna lie to you. That...was most impressive."

   "Thank you," Ahsoka replies. "Guess this means I surpassed your skill level, huh Clodd?"

   "Yeah. Yeah you did."

----------------------------------------------------------

Sometime Later...

   Clodd finds himself in a combat training room; testing his lightsaber skills against a Clone Trooper who is currently using a blaster with non-lethal rounds. On the balcony above and behind Clodd are Jedi Masters Cann and Kenobi, who are standing behind bulletproof glass overseeing the boy's training.

   Obi-wan Kenobi comments "Your nephew's lightsaber skills are impressive, Master Cann."

   Cann bows his head and replies. "Thank you, Master Kenobi."

   "Although I'm a little bit concerned about how he got here. He is your nephew after all, and the familial link could potentially leave him vulnerable to his emotions, especially if you're planning to take him under your wing, my friend. No disrespect of course."

   "I understand your concerns, Master Kenobi, but training a Young Jedi requires a very delicate touch. It requires proper mentoring and emotional care as well. This is something that only a parental figure can sufficiently provide, lest the boy prove ineffective as a Jedi."

   Obi-wan gives off a rather unsatisfied reaction on his face. "So you say."

----------------------------------------------------------

   Just before the Battle of Christophsis, Ahsoka is in high spirits as she walks alongside Clodd. "This is gonna be awesome," she says. "I can't believe I'm about to be the Padawan of Anakin Skywalker out of all the Jedi out there."

   Clodd's expression, on the other hand, appears to be in stark contrast to Ahsoka Tano. "That's uh...that's a great opportunity for sure," he says.

   Looking at her friend, Ahsoka can clearly see the boy's saddened expression. "What are you frowning about? You're not jealous, are you?"

   "N-No...well..." The boy thinks for a second. "Yes...but not because of...Anakin."

   "You did get assigned to your uncle, didn't you? Being trained by a family member isn't something that happens too often for a Jedi, is it?"

   "No. No, it doesn't...just um..."

   "Clodd? Is something wrong?"

   After a brief moment of hesitation, Clodd tells his friend "My request to go to the front was denied by the council."

   Ahsoka is stunned. "What? D-did they give an explanation?"

   "Not directly, but given the context of their decision I think it had something to do with my uncle taking me in as a Padawan. Emotional Attachment...and all that. They've had me placed in the rear guard instead. As a result, it seems unlikely we'll be able to see each other again after today. At least in-person."

   The young girl is saddened. "Oh...Damn. I-I'm sorry to hear that."

   Clodd lets out a nervous chuckle. "Hey...it-it's fine. No biggie."

   Ahsoka doesn't seem convinced about the truthfulness of her friend's remark. "I'm sensing a bit of confusion within you, Clodd. Are you sure you're okay?"

   "Uh...I'm fine. Really."

   Ahsoka crosses her arms. "Hey, uh...Clodd? Before I go...I-I owe you an apology."

   Clodd is startled. "Huh? For what exactly?"

   "Just...you know...for being such a jerk to you. I mistreated you for a long time. I picked on you. It's just...I-I'm really sorry for all of that."

   "Oh...uh...thanks I-I guess." They both share a hug before the two of them part ways for the final time.