A Dauntless way to Die

There is an Erudite boy next to me. I look at him and see a face of dread.

"Are we supposed to jump on?" He asks as the train comes into view

"Yes." Says a girl next to me, who I realize is Beatrice. I watch the crowd spread out in a long line as the train gets closer. I see that the cargo doors are open as it glides towards us. Beatrice is right. It speeds past us and we begin to run with the train.

Very quickly, I get a stitch in my side. But it's ok because I'm right next to a door. I grab the handle on the train and jump on. I'm gasping for air, but I'm still smiling. I've never felt a rush like that before.

I get to the opposite side of the train car and sit down, winded. I watch as the Candor girl I was standing next to hops onto the train, breathing heavily. I get a good look at her. She has light brown skin and short dark hair. Lean and tall.

Then I see her look out of the train car and hold out her hand for someone. She pulls them in and it's Beatrice.

They shake hands and talk for a minute before they both sit down, smiling. I make eye contact with Beatrice and she smiles. I smile back and then lean my head against the train wall, my forearms resting on my knees. I look around and see only ten other transfers. Weren't there eleven? Maybe one didn't make the train. Suddenly the train car is filled with a burst of air and I laugh as some of the standing initiates fall on top of each other.

I look out the car door and see the setting sun. I'd be having group dinner right now. With my mom and Sam. A wave of sadness washes over me. I guess I didn't want to leave them as much as I thought. Will my mother ever forgive me? The only person from Amity I know will visit me is Sam. Even though he chose to stay, he understands why I left.

I must've fallen asleep, because when someone yells "They're jumping off!"

I jolt awake. My neck aches and one of my legs is numb. I stand up, trying to get the feeling back. I go to the other side of the car and look out, along with Beatrice and the Candor girl. Whoever yelled was right. Up ahead, The Dauntless born initiates are jumping off the train onto a building. If we can't make the jump, it's a seven story drop. Dread and anxiety flood my chest. I'm not exactly surprised, but I'm not totally sure I won't fall. There's a gap between the building and the train. A thrilling feeling spreads throughout my body.

I go to the other side of the car to get a running start. I see Beatrice and the Candor girl watching me, eyes wide. I smile at them, wink and run. When I get to the edge of the train, I jump.

I manage to clear the ledge on the building and land on my feet, then fall forward and slide on my hands, elbows and knees.

I lay there for a second, breathing heavily, both heart and mind racing. I laugh and get to my feet. I have scrapes on my hands and knees and elbows, but I don't care. I just jumped out of a moving train. I gasp, startled as Beatrice and the Candor girl land next to me. They both look up at me, laughing. I help up the Candor girl as she gets to her feet.

Then, she holds out her hand. I almost don't take it. In Amity, we always greeted each other with a hug. But I guess this isn't Amity anymore. She makes my stomach turn. Pretty people always do. I take her hand and shake it. "I'm Christina." She says, still laughing. I smile. "Emily." "Oh that's right. You're the girl who punched Peter in the face." Says Christina with a grin. I blush with embarrassment. "Oh don't be embarrassed. It was totally awesome." "Thanks," I say with a smile "It felt awesome too." Christina and Beatrice laugh. "I should've known I'd see you here, though I'm a little surprised you didn't choose Erudite."