Avoid

Book One|Water

Book One|Water

Chapter 8.3

-Narrator's Point of View-

Sokka looks concentrated as he guarded that goal behind him as he and Aang play a game called airball. They both stand in a pole at each opposite side of the court, where wooden poles covered the court. Aang lets out a smile as he twirls the ball around him and suspends the ball with airbending. Aang tosses the ball from side to side and lazily toss it onto the air.

He then innocently smile at Sokka. Sokka looks at Aang suspiciously with a raised brow. As the ball comes down again, the Airbender jumps up and kicks the ball away with a powerful air swipe towards Sokka. The ball rapidly shoots across the poles, changing its directions as it hits a pole, but steadily shoots across Sokka's goal.

Sokka's eyes turn wide and jaw open at the incoming ball. Unfortunately, he hadn't timed to recover during his shock, causing the ball to hit him right on the stomach. The force of the impact sends Sokka and the ball flying backward, rotating the door of the goal behind him and fell into the snow.

(Name) and Katara, who is at the side of the court, wincing at their brother's falling figure. Aang, however, smiles broadly at his win for the seventh time and cheers.

"Wohooo!" Aang cheers. "Aang, seven!" He then forms a circle using his arms and makes a circular movement with his whole body. "Sokka, zero!"

(Name) and Katara quickly went to their brother's falling figure. As happy as (Name) is seeing Aang happy again, she is still worried about seeing her brother in pain.

"Are you alright, Sokka?" (Name) said worriedly, as Katara tries to help their brother.

Sokka grunts as Katara pats his back. "Making him feel better is putting me in a world of hurt." He painfully said. He erects himself with the help of Katara, but before he can fully get up, his eyes immediately see something inf front of him. He crawls to the front to see an old Fire Nation helmet lying in the snow.

"Katara, (Name), check this out," Sokka said as he gestured to the battered and bruised helmet.

Katara and (Name) walks up to Sokka to see what he is gesturing to find the helmet. (Name) let out a sad sigh while Katara looks at it with a glare.

"Fire Nation," Katara said in disgust as she glares at the helmet.

(Name) looks at the two. "We should tell him." She firmly told them. Sokka nods at her motion.

"Aang! There's something you need to see." Katara yelled as she looks at Aang, who is busy playing with the ball in his hands.

Aang cheerfully runs at them, will playing the ball. "Okay!"

As Aang run up to them, Katara's determined look to tell Aang the truth shift into one of insecurity. Katara looks at (Name), who seems to be shifting on her spot nervously and fiddle with her gloved hands. She then glances back at the helmet and back at Aang.

With one swift motion, Katara looks up at the snow above Katara and swings her arms back manipulating, the overhanging snow to fall, obscuring the helmet and Sokka from sight.

Sokka yelp at the sudden event while (Name) looks at Katara and the snow with wide eyes. (Name) had no time to scold Katara, for Aang was already in front of her scaring her in the process.

"What is it?" Aang happily said to her. Sokka brushes the snow off of his head in the background and looks at his sisters.

Before (Name) could speak about what she saw, Katara cuts in.

"Uh. Just a new waterbending move, I learned, with (Name)'s help, of course." Katara innocently said as she smiles at him with her hands behind her back. (Name) looks at her sister with narrowed eyes. Katara looks at her nudge her saying to play along.

(Name) taken aback by the gesture, stuttered out. "Y-yeah! Katara did well!" She stuttered out while rubbing the back of her nape.

Aang let out a smile in her direction and rested the ball in between his arm and hip. "Nice one! But enough practicing," He excitedly said and grabs (Name)'s hands causing her to get all flustered. He then turns around and starts walking away, dragging (Name) with him, who just laugh. "We have a whole temple to see!"

Sokka brushes the last remaining snow on his head and shoulders and looks at Katara with a stern gaze. "Katara, you know we can't protect him forever."

"I know, but I'm not doing this only for him," Katara said and treks after the pre-teens.

---------------------------------------------------------

As they walk up the temple, they found themselves in a courtyard with a fountain in the middle. Sokka, Katara, and (Name) stand at the entrance while Aang runs up ahead excitedly.

"Katara, firebenders were here. You can't pretend they weren't." He sternly said with his arms cross.

Katara walks past their brother. Sokka and (Name) pulls up beside her.

"I can, for Aang's sake. If he finds out that the Fire Nation invaded his home, he'll be devastated." Katara said as they continue to walk.

(Name) furrow her eyebrows and talk. "But he is bound to find out what is happening. We can't keep him in the dark it will only shatter him more." She said as she halts in front of them, causing her two older siblings to stop. "It is better if we are honest with him."

Katara was about to say something when suddenly Aang shouts.

"Hey, guys!" Aang happily shouts, causing the three siblings to look on his way. They see Aang standing in front of a monk statue, turning around and pointing toward it.

"I want you to meet somebody!" Aang said as he gestured towards the statue. (Name) walks towards him with her sibling following behind her.

"Who is that?" She said as she stands beside Aang, looking at the statue in awe. Aang smiles at her and faces the statue.

"Monk Gyatso! The greatest Airbender in the world!" He said and gestures to the three. "He taught me everything I know." He then faces the statue and bows.