p r o l o g u e

Word Count: 736

Warning(s) by chapter: drinking alcohol, pipe smoking.

A/n: I am literally writing this almost nightly, so please bare with me. I know how this story ends and a basic idea on how it gets there. I'm just terrible at writing trailers

Summary: Gandalf comes to ask a favor of a friend.
------

The Prancing Pony had not changed since the last time the old wizard had visited. As it was ever still bustling and hopping as its patrons laughed and danced around the small building, drinking and forgetting their daily troubles.

However, Gandalf wasn't looking for a drink or a room for the night and he certainly couldn't forget his troubles right now. He was looking for someone.

So when Gandalf spotted the intimidating figure in the far back corner, he immediately started his way over. Despite the heavy crowd, the way over to the corner was surprisingly easy to get to. The patrons had avoided getting anywhere near the cloaked figure for they had heard the tales.

Rumors that spread over the lands in the last 10 years of the mysterious and calm warrior with no name . A brilliant archer and swordsmen, the tales say that they can slice the throat of any being without a single breath. None had never even seen the face of the said warrior.....or at least claimed to have ever seen it .

As the figure wore their dark green hood so low, all anyone can make out is the bottom portion of a clean shaven face.

With no beard, the popular rumor that the warrior was an elven general from Rivendell that gave up their immortality for a simple life of man, had seemed the most realistic one.

Yet, Gandalf knows that rumor to be untrue, for he happens to knows the sullen warrior quite well. When he finally reached the table, the figure stood up and shook hands with the grey wizard.

"Gandalf '' the figure spoke softly, so no one could hear the light voice emit from the hood. "It's been a while."

"Yes, it has my dear friend." Both sitting now, the wizard leaned over on the table to be heard easier " Indeed it has been a while. How's your brother?" The figure nodded leaning closer to the wizard as well. "He is well, '' Gandalf smiled but before he could continue, the figure was quick to change the subject.

"When you called this meeting, I hadn't expected you to arrive in Bree till tomorrow, What is so urgent?" The figure moved to grab the full pint and sat it in front of the old wizard, who smiled gratefully and took a big gulp of it before answering.

"That's where this gets a bit complicated I'm afraid. I need to ask a favor of you. How would you like to help me on a quest of mine." The old wizard bowed his head. "It seems the dwarves of Erebor are ready to reclaim their homeland, once and for all."

The figure swifted, leaning closer "I wondered when they would. There's been talk, ravens, returning to the mountain and with Smaug not seen in years. It won't not long before greedy eyes start to fall on the lonely mountain."

Gandalf nodded " I've too have heard this, which is why for the urgency. If my suspectations are true, Durin's Day may be their last chance to get into that mountain for a long while."

"Ah, I see, but what do you need with me?" Gandalf noticed the smile the creeped onto the cloaked figure face, as he hesitated to answer "What you're getting too old now, Mithrandir? So much so that you can't handle even a small company of Dwarves?"

Scoffing, Gandalf scowled back at them, "No, I can manage the lot, I just need another Archer and Swordsmen to aid us is all. You know how the woods around here better than anyone I know and We could use an experienced tracker like yourself-."

"Whatever you say" the figure chuckled, pausing in merry and as they looked closely at the wizard again, before asking the question that Gandalf was expecting the most.

"Do they know who I am?"

"Surely, they have heard the tales of your battles, my dear." The wizard was quick with his reply but added after looking into into the figure's stressed eyes. " I have told them about you? No. But they do know that I have requested the 'Green Cloak' to join us, yes."

The figure leaned slowly back into her chair nodding, as she lifted her small pipe back into her lips, taking a puff. The light from the pipe glowed a faint light, just enough for Gandalf to see the smirk settling on her face.

"Then I guess I'll come, if they are already expecting me."