Chapter 6: Smell of Troll

______________________________________________

Walking over to the group with Gandalf, I couldn't help my thought wandering back to Fili...I don't why looking at him at that time was any different than before. Not completely wanting to admit it to myself, I do have to say that over the past few days I have caught myself looking over at him more and more often. 

He always was with a smile as he chatted with his brother. It was interesting to see someone so carefree and happy..

Contemplating the reasons, I was suddenly overwhelmed with a horrendous stench.

"Be careful what you touch." Gandalf said as he ducked into the cave, meanwhile I gagged before having to take a step back from entrance. Taking a couple breaths of clear air before entering.

"Seems a shame, just to leave it lying around." Bofur spoke quite loudly, "Anyone could take it."

"Agreed." Gloin replied "Nori, get a shovel."

I bit back a smile as Nori raised his hand in a small wave as he met me in the small entrance way of the cave, before taking off towards the camp. Braving the stench farther, I was amazed by the sight of such...treasure. Gold coins were littered across the floor of the cave. Dwalin, Bofur and Gloin were standing near the mouth of the cave.

"We are making a long term deposit." Gloin looked up, seeming to explain why he and Bofur were on their knees scooping up a good size pile of coins. Dwalin huffed in response, making me shake in my head in silent laughter as I moved to stand near Balin, who was farther back into the cave.

I did feel the eyes of the members of the company as I walked over to the older dwarf. It was expected that they would stare, I mean in the case I would probably stare as well. So it's hard to blame them for their rudeness.

"Ah Aranea" Balin grinned up at me as I leaned against the wall with him. "Glad you could join us." he winked.

"I probably would have came in earlier but I had let the stench grow on me first." he laughed at my comment while nodding his head. "I dare say, I can't judge ya on that, lass." he wrinkled his nose into his handkerchief.

"I do want to apologize for my over-excitement earlier. It's just.." he shook his head, resting my hand on his shoulder. I smiled at the gentle dwarf. "It's truly okay, I don't mind answering your questions." 

Balin smiled broadly up at me as he patted the top of my hand with his. "You are the most gracious."

"Aranea? Ah yes, there you are. May you please come down here" Gandalf waved me over to where he and Thorin were standing by barrels of what to seem to be swords and a few spears. As I got closer, he held out a beautiful sword handle.

"What do these runes mean to you?" taking the sword from his hand, I glanced over the engravings that followed the curve of the guard. I could see out of the corner of my eye, Thorin was holding the sheath of the sword and looking at me with keen interest as I studied the sword.

"You read ruins?" complexed, I noticed Thorin looking up at me. I smiled gently at "A duty that came with the title." nodding he chuckled as "I can understand that"

"If I am not mistaken..this sword has seen its fair share of battle" I murmured as I twirled it a bit to get a finer look. ''Orchrist, or Goblin-Cleaver." I moved to hand the hilt down for Thorin to take. He kept his eyes on the sword as flexing his grip on the handle. He seemed to be debating on taking it, I figured it was the fact that it was elven-made, that was causing him to hesitate.