Chpt. 7

Climbing was a bit easier because it wasn't a striaght drop, but keeping up with Mr. Zhongli was not easy. He may have been a rock, but he was a rock who could climb.

Finally making it to the top, you rolled over onto the side of the cliff, enjoying the break. Mr. Zhongli, of course, got straight to work wasting no time to start examining.

As he kneeled over the edge of the broken cliff you simply closed your eyes and enjoyed the breeze and the warmth of the sun. The air up the the Liyue hills was a lot cooler, which did make climbing nicer.

Eventually, you opened your eyes and opened your mouth to ask about what he was taking so long to look at, but he was facing away from you and you noticed something you hadn't before.

"You have a vision?" You blurted outloud,

"Hmm?" Mr. Zhongli turned to face you, "Why yes, I do," he said it casually, as if visions weren't a big deal.

"Oh..." you felt embarrassed for asking in the first place, "You just didn't strike me as the type..."

"What do you mean?" There wasn't any offense in his tone, but you flipped over on your stomach to sit up at the realization of your implications.

"It's just..." you stuttered for words, "Theres Ms. Yanfei and Hu tao of that funeral parlor. Oh! and Lady Keqing. They're all rather popular and have certain energy to them-"

"That which I lack?" He cut you off pulling a chunk off rock out of the side of the mountain,

"Well its just...they're always running around doing important things. Not to mention they're quite unique too. Yanfei is smart and refined yet still friendly and approachable and Lady Keqing is always taking initiative..." you trailed off realization you were rambling.

"And?" He urged you to continue,

"And you just seem a little bit more normal. More quiet"

"Intresting," he turned his whole body to you now, brushing the dirt off of his gloves, "First of all, I'll take that as a compliment. Second of all, I have bad news,"

You nodded, bracing yourself for the news to come, "There is geo energy here, but it's across the whole mountain."

You swallowed, staring at the cliff Mr. Zhongli was standing over, "So it wasn't me," You felt something in your head tighten and your mouth go dry as your words hung in the air. Why was a Fatui agent so interested in you? Wasn't there more useful people to bother?

Everything had happened so fast you didn't know what to feel besides fear when a giant whale nearly made a pancake of you, but now a hint of anger began to boil in you.

"This entire deal was nonsense anyways. I didn't fully agree to this fairly!" Both you and Mr. Zhongli seemed surprised at your tone.

Realizing this and feeling guilty for yelling at him you sighed, looking down,"I didn't care so much before but I think I should get a lawyer,"

Silence hung in the air as the idea of a long, embarrassing court battle played in your head. You were an idiot for being tricked and even more of an idiot for playing along with it.

You turned to climb down the hill and reached your leg down to find a ledge.

"Wait! Perhaps..." Mr. Zhongli, in the time you had heard him, often talked elegantly and softly. But his cut through the silence was suddenly deafening, "Perhaps it is not best to deny the Fatui," your eyebrow furrowed together at the hint of guilt behind his eyes, "They are a very dangerous group and giving them what they want may be an easier alternative,"

... ... ... ... ... ...

"He's right. Liyue laws work a little differently because most of the Fatui here, including your's truly, aren't technically citizens," he didn't finish his threat but, instead, tried to be a salesman, "Look, you want expirence with fighting to hone in on you elemental talents and the Fatui is your perfect opportunity! And you'll even be getting paid...well, eventually..."

You shot a dirty look straight through his deep eyes. His eyebrows came together with a look of concern, this being the first time you were able to look at him for quite awhile since the conversation started, "Joining the Fatui and serving the Tsarista was the best decision I ever made and it could be for you you too,"

You said nothing but he continued, "Please, just-" sincerity crept into his voice and he sighed, "Just consider it to save yourself the trouble," he looked away and his soft tone left as quickly as it had come, "It's the inevitable,"

With that, he got up and walked away into the regular night bustle of the city, his red scarf flowing in the wind.