The First Night

As dawn approached, Sunny was tired and cold.

“Why is there so much going on at night?” she said. “I’m sleepless…”

“Is there anything I can do?” asked Andrew.

“Sure, put another five layers around this house so I don’t have to hear the moaning of those strange creatures.”

Andrew sighed. “I used to live in a cave before you got here.”

“Why?”

“Now that I think about it, I don’t really know. It was just comfy, I guess.”

“Oh thank god, the sun is finally up.”

Then suddenly, the banging on the doors all stopped abruptly. As the sun started poking up out of the horizon, she could see many figures slowly limping away from the house to the nearest cavern, some of them not even making it in time and being burned to death, because of their lack of skin, clothing, and sunscreen.

“Are you sure those are all non-human?” Sunny asked the guide.

“Y' know, they might actually be zombies. I've never really stopped to wonder that. You can never be sure if a human is zombified in the beginning, or if you think it’s a zombie, but it’s actually a hobo that looks like a zombie, especially in this world. To me, they all look the same. What a waste of lives…” he replied.

Sunny stared at him in confusion.

“Whatever. Next you should collect some coins that drop from slimes and stuff, to attract a merchant. Once you collect some silver coins, he’ll show up and ask you to buy something from him.”

“Wait… there’s more people around here?”

“Of course there is! What did you think; we were left here to repopulate this world?”

Sunny looked away, suddenly red in the face, obviously thinking exactly what he had said. Andrew laughed and said, “I don’t blame you, you’ve only been here a day. I need to get you up-to-date on what the world’s expectations are of you.”

“Okay, but first, tell me a little more about this merchant you speak of.”

“Well he’s quite the wanderer, you see. He doesn’t stay in one place for long, unless of course, he is provided with a proper living space.”

“Of course,” Sunny replied, looking off somewhere in the distance. ”Of course.”