Chapter 22

*what's up y'all, it's jaywrites21 back at it again. there's about 2 maybe 3 chapters left so stay tuned :)* 

"Absolutely not." 

"Alex—"

"Kara, you've lost your memory, gone AWOL for three days, and almost died," her sister stresses. "We're not giving you up."

"I'm not going to let you all die!" When the message stopped playing in her ears, Kara called over Alex, Brainy, and J'onn to debrief them and got their opinions on what to do next, even if she didn't ask for them. This was Kara, the literal Girl of Steel we're talking about. The one with a savior and possible god complex; why wouldn't she give herself up in order to save the ones she loves? "You know I can't do that."

"Then you should know that we're not going to hand you over blindly!" Alex argues, staring down at her sister who looked away from her where she sat on the couch. "Kara, we don't know what she even wants with you!"

"Exactly! So it can't be that bad."

"Do you hear yourself?" Alex scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest. "I know you're stubborn, but dude, c'mon."

"Alex, wouldn't you rather I be dead than the lot of you be dead together?"

"No!" she yells. "Because I can't live without my sister!"

"Well, you might have to!" Kara yells back, standing up. At the raise of her volume, Lena grabs onto her hand and she visibly deflates, calming herself down.

"I'm tired, Alex," she admits in a whisper. "I'm tired of this back and forth between me and Lillian over me dating Lena just because I'm a Kryptonian and she's a Luthor. I'm tired of the bullshit she's had us go through for the past years. And if I can do this one thing to keep you all safe from her for good? Then I'm going to do it."

"You know there's going to be other dangers than her," Alex says softly.

"And I know you can beat them."

"Not without you, I can't." 

"Yes you can," Kara encourages, grasping her shoulders. "You're my sister. Of course, you can. I've learned from you, you've learned from J'onn and me. You've got what it takes."

"But I don't want to do it without you," Alex confesses in a broken whisper. Kara makes a small tsk in sadness, wrapping her arms around her to bring her in for a hug.

Lena knew how much the sisters meant to each other, but she couldn't help but think of how their goodbyes are going to go. It's selfish, in a way, but she wonders if it's going to be this emotional. But the more she thinks about it, the more it hurts her heart. 

"So what's the plan?" she asks quietly once the sisters separate.

Kara sighs, crossing her arms as she sits down on the arm of the couch next to her. "I go see what she wants while you all stay here on comms with me. Except you, Lena."

Lena raises an eyebrow at her. "Kara, I am not some damsel in distress—"

"I know you aren't."

"So why are you telling me to leave?"

"Because if something goes wrong, she's going after you. Not Alex, not Sam or Ruby, or anyone else; you. You're—" Kara sighs, closing her eyes and letting out a deep breath, still realizing they have company. "Lillian said if I don't go, she'll take what's closest to my heart. While that is my family, you're the closest one."

"I feel real important now," Alex mutters and Lena has to fight the urge to laugh due to the current circumstances.

"I'm not taking any chances with her," Kara continues, looking Lena dead on. "You're going to the DEO." She realizes the way she constructed that and cleared her throat, looking down as she scuffed the floor with her shoe, blushing with the strictness she didn't know she had. "What... I meant to say was can you please go to the DEO so I know you're safe?"

Lena smiles small. "Well, how could I say no to my knight in shining armor?"

"My god, you two are revolting," Alex grumbles, going to the liquor cabinet. "Where's the scotch?"

"I might as well go now. The sooner, the better, right?" She tries to get up but Kara's hand on her shoulder made her stop. 

"Stay," Kara whispered, so she nodded and sat back down, watching her ask her friends at a normal volume, "Guys, can you give us a moment?"

Not even able to get a glass for herself, Alex rolls her eyes. "Yay, more lovey-dovey bullshit."

"Like you're not the same with Sam."

"That was uncalled for."

"Go." Alex lovingly gives her the finger, leading the other two men out of the apartment, leaving Kara to sigh when the door is closed. 

Unable to keep her insecurities and doubts inside, Lena had to ask. "Did you mean it?" she whispered.

"What?" Kara responds with, her head spinning around quickly at the sudden question.

Before she knew it, Lena was choking up, trying to keep her tears at bay. "Hey, hey," Kara whispers, going to her knees and taking her hands as Lena lowered her head to stop her from crying in front of her. "What's wrong?"

Lena shook her head, letting out a wet laugh. "When you said I was the closest thing to your heart."

The Kryptonian could do nothing but look at her in awe. "Lena, baby," she whispered, raising her chin with a hand to wipe her tears, which Lena leaned into. "Of course I meant it. I mean every single complimentary and loving thing I say about and to you. If Lillian threatens you just to get to me? That's not happening."

"She better not do anything terrible to you," Lena murmurs, cupping her face with her hands. "Because there's so much more I want to do with you for the rest of our lives."

"Me, too." Kara kisses her passionately as if it were their last kiss ever. In a way, it was. As they took little gasps of air to get closer and loving each other more, neither of them knew if they would see each other again after this. 

"I love you," Lena gasps, putting her forehead against hers, still crying some more. "I love you, I love you, I'm so sorry—"

"Enough of that, Lena," she softly ridicules. "I forgive you. I forgive and love you for eternity."

The scientist gives a short laugh. "Eternity is a long time."

"That's only more time for us. We got time. I promise you." She kisses her one last time and pulls her to stand up with her. "Go before I want to screw the consequences and stay with you forever."

Lena squeezes her hand and holds on until their fingertips are no longer touching as she backs up to the door. "I love you."

"I love you." She watched the door close behind her and Kara hooked her thumbs into her pockets and sighed, internally cursing the world; most specifically Lillian in this cruel world. She wanted to scream out in anger that the world always seemed to be coming after herself and her family. It wasn't fair.

But alas, that was the life of a hero.

And it was relentless.