Chapter 3: The Kitchen

Mabelle made her way back into the kitchen of the restaurant. She put down her tray on the stack next to the swinging double doors. She went towards the sink hooked up on the next wall to wash her hands. She starts to rub her hands together, but then slowly stops. She looked at her forearms and remembered the blonde customer who mistook her for someone else.

     "Who are you?" Mabelle asked under her breath.

     The swinging double doors briskly opened and a dark skinned, brown and red ombre haired girl in the same uniform as Mabelle, except for the skirt being orange, rushes in and tosses her tray on the tray pile. She tightens her hair that was in a ponytail as she sighs.

     "You think people would realize that you can only walk so fast with a tray of food and drinks for a party of five. It's so exhausting having to keep a smile on your face while they are yelling at you to hurry up," the girl complained. She walked towards Mabelle and leaned her body on the counter next to the sink to rest. She looked at Mabelle, who was still staring at her forearms. "You okay, girl?"

     Mabelle looked at the girl, and then smiled. "Yeah. Sorry, Alice. I didn't hear you come in." Mabelle grabbed a towel and started to dry her hands.

     "You don't seem fine. Did one of those bozos offend you? Try something?"

     "No, not at all. I just had someone mistake me for someone they knew." Mabelle looked at her arms once again. "I think he may have been right though."

     Alice pushes off the counter in order to stand up straight. "What makes you say that?"

     "Something about him seems familiar. Like I met him before." Mabelle put her arms by her sides, "It must have just been deja vu."

     Alice walked up to Mabelle and hugged her. "That's rough girl, but everything will be okay."

     They both break the hug and look at each other. "Thanks, Al. That helps more than you know."

     The two doors swung open and stayed propped open. A man in a suit poked his head in and started yelling at the two girls. "Hey! I'm paying you to work, not to stand around and sing 'Kumbaya'. Get the drinks and start moving!" The doors then swung back shut.

     Alice looked at Mabelle with wide eyes. "They think they can treat us like that just because we are only working this one time? We don't have to be here. We can leave if we want to. We're helping them."

     Mabelle laughed. "Yeah, but you know you need the money they're paying too."

     Alice put her hand on the left side of her chest and acted wounded. "You got me! That's the only reason I haven't walked out of this place already." She grabbed a tray and started stocking it up with various different drinks. "I'm on my way out. You take all the time you need. Okay, girl?"

     "Thanks, Alice. I'll be back out in a second!"

     Alice used her back to open the double doors and walked out of the kitchen backwards. Mabelle took one last look at her arms before literally shaking herself out of her daze.

     "Get it together Mabelle. It was just deja vu." She grabbed a tray and started to stock it up with drinks as well while she reminded herself, "It was just deja vu."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of the dinner, Adrien stood up to send off the Tsurugis. Kagami and Tomoe bowed. Kagami offered her arm to her mother, but Gabriel held onto her arm first.