8: couch-pen

Stephen got home, thinking about Tony's absent behavior. It was something to be expected from him because he could go through one or two mood swings, but something was different.

Maybe Tony was coming to his senses and actually thought about the fact that he had been stabbed and spoken to by a strange man, by Kaecilius. Stephen hoped that Tony would never have to be exposed to the mystic arts world ever again. And he hoped he could protect him.

As soon as the boy reached his door and opened it the cloak threw itself onto Stephen, constricting him from going inside and closing the door.

"Why you so obsessed with me," Stephen said singsongy and wiggled out of it, making sure no one had seen that before going inside. Then he flicked the cloak with his hand. "Don't ever do that again. No one in the public can see you, okay?"

The cloak looked like it mocked Stephen and his voice. "You have the audacity to make fun of me. I'll sell you to a cosplayer."

Stephen made his way to the kitchen, feeling starving and dreaded having to cook. Especially with so many things going on in his head. On one end was Christine, in another was Tony saying him and Pepper really are a thing and the last one was Kaecilius and his zealots. Zealots of what? Time? Time's what the Book of Cagliostro is about so it had to be.

Stephen wasn't allowed to read that book. It was in the restricted part of the Kamar-Taj library. Or older sorcerers had permission to read it, just not practice anything in it. Made sense.

"I figured you'd need this today," said a voice behind Stephen, making him jump. It was that kind of jump where you don't make any noise at all but your shoulders move so fast and your heart starts beating. It was just the Ancient One, not looking like herself while holding a bag of McDonald's.

"Sweet!" Stephen laughed and hurried up to her to grab the food. He even felt generous enough to give her a kiss on the cheek before nearly devouring the fries and the burger.

"Your worried aura was palpable miles away," began the Ancient One. "What's wrong, my boy?" She asked.

"My worried aura?" He questioned, munching on a fry. "I'm completely fine."

"Your words may be convincing, but it's not enough when you feel the energy of the universe."

"Are you calling me a good liar? You're technically calling me a good liar. Thank you." Anything to lead her astray... chaos and bloodshed...

"I'm saying you can't fool me."

Stephen sighed. Of course he was unwell and worried. The worrying part, however, was how constant it became ever since Kaecilius attacked Tony and since he found out why it happened. He also felt bad about putting Tony in danger by bringing him over earlier last week.

Should he tell her the truth about bringing Tony to the house against her wishes? The Ancient One wasn't one to yell, but she'd be disappointed and ask why he disobeyed her. Truth is always the best option.

"Well I..." Stephen began, trying to distract himself from breaking down by eating more fries. "I'm worried I put Tony in danger." Stephen paused. "What the fuck," he then chuckled, trying harder to keep his cool. He hid his face by shielding it with his hand. His voice was shaky.

"How come?" Ancient One asked, keeping her voice calm because she knew what her harsher tone would lead to.

"I brought him back here when you left. Then Wong came and said Kaecilius could be close and I panicked..." Stephen kept laughing to protect himself from his own worry and tears.