chapter six

"How about Stark's suit?" Clint asked, his eyes glazed with curiosity as he pointed his drumstick to your direction

    "How about Stark's suit?" Clint asked, his eyes glazed with curiosity as he pointed his drumstick to your direction. "Can you burn that? I want to see that."

    The Stark Tower was filled with laughter and banter as the Avengers developed an interest upon your arrival, which included bombarding you with questions. Despite their own set of skills and powers, yours was a first to their sights.

    "Funny, Barton. Creating more suits wouldn't be a problem, not that I have to," Tony answered in return of Clint's statement. "You know what's an interesting idea? Your arrows. Melted. Let's watch you become Waterboy and shoot liquid arrows instead. It'll be like using a water gun. Pew, pew, pew."

    "You think you're the only one with creativity here?" Clint took one of his arrows and displayed it with a proud expression on his face. "See these arrows? I made and designed them myself. It wouldn't be a problem to make more too. I've always had a knack for crafts since high school. Come on. Tell him, Nat."

    "I'm sorry, Clint." Natasha slowly shook her head as she licked the layer of liquor that covered her lips.  "If you have anything to boast to Stark, that's not what you choose."

    "Let the man take pride of his achievements. I just hacked into the Pentagon when I was in high school and built my own suit out of scraps in a cave," Tony replied, failing terribly in hiding the pride mixed with his voice. "No match for Clint Barton's outstanding performance in arts and crafts, right?"

    "Fine." Clint tucked his arrow behind him as he scowled at Tony, accepting his defeat.

    "Can you smell that? That's the smell of winning an argument," Tony turned around and pointed at you. "Going back to you, walking torch. Wouldn't it be dangerous to bring you? You're a matchstick in human form, or at least a human-looking goddess. God, nothing is normal in this room."

    You let out a chuckle at Tony's newly found nickname for you. With fire as your source of power, you were unquestionably a walking torch waiting to be ignited.

    You cleared your throat and attempted to deliver an answer after recovering from the laughter. "The fire I possess acts along with me. You can only burn when I wish for you to burn. If I don't, then you are immune to any harm that my flame may cause."

    Bruce stood up from the couch, fumbling with his glasses. "How? Will it just follow you under any circumstances? Let's say, I am covered with gasoline, that still won't work?”

    "The mere idea that they have the ability to burn me is terrifying enough. Why would you offer suggestions about gasoline?” Tony asked, the crease on his forehead deepening.

    "I've thought about the possible dangers of your abilities, and I think knowing this helps in preventing unwanted fire and damage, especially when we're dealing with someone in public," Steve answered. "That's an advantage. We already received a number of complaints from civilians."

    "What? Like you have a built-in fire extinguisher within you?" asked Tony once again. "I think we just adopted the strangest gods, don't you think? We have hammer man and now torch lady. We even have that reindeer god in a cage."

    "You can try it out if you find it hard to believe." You lifted your hand, twirling it in front of everyone. The center began emitting a golden flare of light that danced around your hand. "Any volunteer?"

    As expected, everyone stood frozen in their place, silently exchanging glances. The reluctance to accept your offer was visible, and you can't really blame them. Only someone with such courage and faith in you would attempt to volunteer.

    Bucky leapt to his feet with great enthusiasm. "Alright. I'm in."

    "You know if that fails to work, the only thing we can keep is that metal arm," Tony exclaimed. "Unless you believe that some kind of magic will happen and hooray, soldier survives the fire."

    "I trust her," Bucky answered, then moved his gaze onto your eyes. "She won't hurt me."

    You blinked at him in surprise. Bucky's response sounded sincere and confident, which amazed you. You've only known each other for a few hours, but he's already up for a challenge that might risk his safety if you haven't mastered controlling your powers. You were only supposed to tease them shortly, but everyone seems excessively fascinated about your powers.

    The conversation was interrupted when Thor stood up and cleared his throat, drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

    "I already know how fun this would be and I would love to watch you burn someone's face, but I must go."

    "Where must you go?" you inquired.

    "I have.. a few plans to attend to. I need to return to S.H.I.E.L.D."

    "Are you planning to see Loki? I should come with you. Let me just take these with me."

    You turned to retrieve a few items you've left on the sofa. You will not face Loki once your return to headquarters, but you are concerned and intrigued about Thor's so-called plans. Tagging along and a bit of evesdropping wouldn't hurt.