Iced Coffees

I wake up like I've never woken up before. Well, I guess I've never woken up like this before, literally. In a room that is straight out of my dreams that I'm scared to leave that's also in the afterlife. I guess that's a reason to feel a little bit strange when you wake up. Yesterday, Alex said I would start to remember more things about my life, but it hasn't really happened. I know stuff about me, really everything about me, even the things I need to forget. But I don't know anything about other things, other people. Maybe Alex can help. I slap the button on my side table, and before I can even think about anything else, there are three knocks on my door. My door? The door.

"May I come in?" the now familiar voice asks.

"Yep!" I yell out, and the door swing opens. The Chris Evans look-a-like walks in, making a chair appear out of thin air again, and sits down. He's still wearing the same outfit, like almost no time has passed.

"How was your sleep, Darrion?" Alex asks, seeming to come from a place of genuine interest.

"It was-" I cut myself of. How was my sleep? I didn't think of that. Maybe my wake up wasn't the only thing that was different. Maybe the sleep itself was different too. "It was deep. Um, very deep," I say.

"That seems to be the common answer when limbs sleep for the first time. Us hosts like to say it's more like a hibernation than a sleep, but we wouldn't know."

"That actually makes sense," I say in realization. We sit in a casual silence as I think over my sleep, before Alex begins to talk again.

"So, Darrion, before I start to jump into more things about the Afterlife, were there any questions about yesterday?"

"Um, yeah. How does one start the process of starting a new life?" I don't think I would be ready to start a new life, completely getting rid of my old one, forgetting everything that I just remembered and haven't even remembered yet. But I still think it would be good to know.

"Well, for any returns, you can go to customer service on floor two," Alex says, suppressing a laugh. Was that a joke? I hope so as I laugh. He laughs too. "Another joke landed. I'm victorious. But, actually, the process will make more sense, once I give you a tour of where you are. Once I give you a tour of the afterlife, I mean. If that's something that would interest you right now."

"I, um-"

"If you would rather stay here for now, Darrion, that would also be completely okay. Your afterlife experience is completely up to you."

What are you so scared of Darrion? Have you always been like this? Scared? Afraid of what's next? What's the worst that could happen? You die? Nope, you're already dead. So why does it matter. Besides, this could all be in my mind. Are you scared of your own mind, Darrion? Well, yes, probably, but that's not the point.

"No, um, that would be great. Thank you, Alex."

"Of course. Before we leave, let me let you in on a little secret. I assume you will want to wear clothes, of course that's up to you but we would have to censor you for the other limbs. Anyways, if you want to pick your own outfit, let me tell you how. You know how I made your room change yesterday? Made the closet and chair appear?" I nod. "Well, you can do that too. The afterlife is made up of something other than matter, so the conservation of matter does not apply. And you are able to control it. So, all you need to do is think about what you want. For example, a different set of clothing. Then perform an action. Basically, Darrion, just think something along the lines of 'When I snap my fingers, I will be wearing a' dot dot dot." He's gotta be messing with me, right? He must see my face contorted in a display of confusion. "Go ahead, try it! Keep in mind, however, it can be quite mentally exhausting for limbs, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't work the first time," he encourages.