Dreams

I wake up in Santi's arm, pulling me close to his body. I feel his soft yet deep breath on my neck, in and out, in and out. His arms tighten around me and confine us even closer together. Outside, it feels cold, but under the sheets, it's warm. Santi is warm. I wiggle around in his grip to adjust my position, trying not to wake him. But of course, it does. He's such a light sleeper.

"Good morning," he breathes into the back of my neck, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Good morning," I respond softly, which is when I finally wake up.

Another day, another dream. After 4 years, I thought they would slowly fade away. But I still get them all the time. And they are so realistic, it hurts. I feel cold in my afterlife bed all by myself.

Though my dreams don't only include Santi. Sometimes it's my family or Jaz, or a combination of both. Sometimes it's random people that I've forgotten about until I see them face to face in my dreams.

Back on Earth, I was usually able to tell my dreams apart from reality, like most people do. Of course, there were a few instances where I thought that my dream actually happened, like if I dream about a school assignment that was never actually assigned. Here in the afterlife, it's different.

And by that, I mean that if I didn't know that Santi would never hold me in his arms again, I would think that the dreams actually happened. But I do know that, so I know that they are just dreams.

Really, I don't know if "dreams" are the right word for them. Because dreams are about the future. You can dream of your perfect life. The "dreams" I get in the afterlife are all about the past, not the future. Future doesn't really exist for me.

I kick the sheets off of me, accidentally knocking Frank off the bed, and lug myself out of the bed. Today's the day I ask. You got this, Darrion. I head off to the bathroom to get ready, taking a shower, brushing my teeth, taking a morning shit. I don't technically have to do any of that stuff, but after a hibernation of who knows how long, I've decided that a wake-up routine is good to have. It sets me up for whatever I'm about to do, which is defiantly important for the whatever I'm doing today.

I finish my routine, heading over to my closet. I think for a few moments, then snap, finally opening up the door. And there it is, right in front of me. Jeans and a hoodie. Haley has taught, or rather forced me to wear different clothes, which I've ended up enjoying. But, alas, classics are classics for a reason. And, boy, this shit is a classic. I throw on the full outfit, give Frank a kiss on the head, and head out my door, falling fast towards The Hub. If my plan goes accordingly, I'm going to miss this the most.

I land in the center of The Hub and start my walk to the EarthVisit station. The last time I was hanging out with Alex, I told him I would meet Haley and him here. I said that I would tell them what I wanted to do with them, as our next little adventure.

Which isn't technically a lie, but it definitely isn't the full truth. But where's the fun in telling the truth, the full truth, and nothing but the truth? Court would be boring without a little risk.

I walk into the EarthVisit room, expecting to see Haley sitting behind her desk and Alex talking to her, leaning onto the counter. That's the usual. Except, when I walk in, it's completely empty. The door was unlocked, so at least Haley has to be in here.

"Hello?" I yell out into the empty room. No response. I walk up to the desk before yelling again. "It's me, Darrion!" No response, again. "Hello?" That's when I hear a faint whisper from down the hall.

"Maybe if we're really quiet, he'll go away?" a familiar female voice says.

"Haley, no. As much as I want to con-" a familiar male voice replies.