unit thirteen!

this doesn't change anything
between us, black.

┌     ┐

                                                                                   ┌                                                            ┐

└ ┘

y'know, you're a really
terrible liar, devereaux.

.           .          .          .          .

if i was born as a blackthorn tree
i'd want to be felled by you,
held by you
fuel the pyre of your enemies.

.          .          .          .          .

    JUDE DEVEREAUX WAS BORN FOR WAR. A burning lust for total destruction ran through her bloodstream. Her heart pumped fury and rage through her body, pushing revenge and callousness down her veins. She had been corrupted by it. The urge to kill, maim, obliterate anything that stood in her way was overwhelming. It only added to the fun when it was usually Death Eaters that were across from her on the battlefield. That's why she was recruited to join Unit Thirteen.

The Order needed a cold-hearted murderer and she just happened to be the best in the business.

But the side of the light were rapidly losing this war. The Death Eaters were outnumbering them, attacking more muggle villages than The Order could defend. Muggleborns were being murdered at horrifying rates and Hogwarts had been closed indefinitely. They didn't have enough Jude Devereaux's to take care of the festering blight of darkness that was plaguing them. The Wizarding World had fallen under a reign of terror and there was no hope of redemption.

So when a defected Death Eater approached Alastor Moody with information that could help bring down the Dark Lord in exchange for a full pardoning after the war, they all had no other choice but to accept. They needed a miracle to defeat the invincible and Regulus Black promised that he had found one. He was tasked with carrying out the plan himself and was assigned to Unit Thirteen, the Order's most skilled group of members.

Jude knew that she hated Regulus Black from the moment she laid eyes on him. He was Death Eater and that meant he was everything she had been trained to kill. She wanted to wrap her hands around his throat and squeeze, if only to rid the world of his filthy existence. He was a monster.

But, as he happily pointed out, so was she.

Jude had always rationalized her sins. She was the lesser of two evils. A Robin Hood, a utilitarian, a bringer of The Greater Good. This was all payback for every innocent person that Voldemort had murdered. But then, Regulus had come trampling into her life and had walked all over the pitiful guard on her conscience. A sly smirk, a head of dark curls, a runaway comment and then she wasn't so sure of herself anymore. Maybe the monster next door and the monster under your bed were more alike than she had previously thought.