𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. cold as ice

IN HIS DREAMS, Regulus is fourteen again

...IN HIS DREAMS, Regulus is fourteen again. It's early September and the seasons have finally started to change. The common room window is open and the sun has just set. Evan smiles and somehow the room doesn't feel so dim anymore.

The fire has only been lit and does little to heat the room. Regulus' school jumper is new enough that it still itches against the fresh scars on his skin. Start of year homework lays on the desk in front of them but they push it off, to be done another day.

"Mother is demanding that I take Lavinia Bulstrode to the Winter Ball at the Manor." Evan remarked, as he read a letter sent from home. "I think I'd rather be disowned." He announced before throwing the piece of parchment into the fire.

"Funnily enough, I don't think you'll have a choice in the matter." Regulus replied, raising an eyebrow in the boy's direction.

"Pureblood girls aren't any fun." Evan whinged, obviously unhappy with his predicament. "They're all so obsessed with their pointless reputations. I'd take Lily Evans over that any day."

"Lily Evans?" Regulus looked up, slightly shocked. "She's a Mudblood!"

Evan didn't even look slightly deterred by this information. "So what?" And he actually did look genuinely confused.

"You're a pureblood Evan." Regulus replied, rattling off the blood purist ideals that his mother had instilled in him since he was just a boy. "It's unnatural. You belong with people of your caliber."

"Are you jealous or something Reg?" Evan joked, raising a dark eyebrow his way. "Because if you want me to take you instead, you just have to ask."

Regulus crossed his arms, propping his feet up on the table in front of him. "You wish."

"Just because Lavinia's mother and father are first cousins doesn't make her any better than a  Mudblood." Evan remarked, screwing up his face at the thought of her. "In fact, judging by how close together her eyes are, it was actually to her detriment."