brutal

"And I wish I'd done this before..."

The long winding hallways were a maze of wealth and bored students

The long winding hallways were a maze of wealth and bored students. I had gotten my schedule from the office and now had to figure out where my first class was. I reached to twirl a curl nervously before realizing my hair was in an updo.

"Of all the days I want to be prim and proper." I sighed internally, clutching my schedule to my chest instead. I could only hope the confusion on my face didn't make me stand out too much. I wondered if I would be in any of Julien's classes considering I was placed in mainly advanced courses, setting me a level ahead of my own grade.

I maneuvered my way around the crowded hallway. If I was late I could just blame it on first day jitters, which wouldn't be a lie. I noticed a few stares as I glided through the other students. I was used to attention, whether it be because of my beauty or merely because I was the new girl. 

I straightened my spine and added more confidence into my walk, hiding my fear and using it as adrenaline.

"Remember what mom said, never be the predator but don't let them catch you as prey." I thought. The quote was one of the many things my mother told me growing up, but it may have been the most useful right now.

Another student slid past me, her sweet perfume invading my noise. One look at her side profile gave me a glimmer of hope. Maybe this was my chance to get a helpful hand.

"Excuse me, Luna." I called out, somewhat surprised to see her without my cousin or Monet. Those three stayed together like Charlie's Angels, the Three Musketeers, or the Powerpuff girls. Whatever trio nickname you could think of, I was running out of examples.

As I stood there contemplating nicknames I realized Luna was staring at me, a look of impatience of her face. A soft blush rose on my cheeks, my dark complexion thankfully saving me from rosy cheeks.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to ask if you knew where this classroom would be?" I cringed instantly, she had been going to the school longer than me of course she would know. I bit down on my bottom lip, awaiting her answer with bated breath.

Luna, much to my surprise, offered me a small smile. "That's my first class of the day too, walk with me."

Before I could thank her she quickly added, "unlike your cousin you don't embarrass me with your fashion choices, consider this an honor." I almost laughed, there was something nicer about Luna than she let on.

I grasped onto my backpack with one hand, shifting my schedule to the other and fell into a brisk pace next to her. "Thank you for showing me the way." I decided it was better to thank her anyway, my mother always told me to thank people who shared their generosity, no matter how small.