stay young

"My hand's out, I wanna throw my cards now..."

People had told me often times the many things I was in life. I was a good friend. I was a good daughter. I was a good student. The positive praise molded me into who I was, my actions always guided by good intentions. There was nothing I couldn't do. Yet somehow, I had never felt more like a fool who knew nothing.

How could I think anything would ever happen between Aki and I. His heart would always belong to Audrey. Watching now from a distance as Audrey and Aki shared a kiss, the heartbreaking realization washed over me like cold water. My heart dropped to my stomach, weren't they supposed to be broken up?

I continued to watch as Audrey pulled away from him, her lips moving to form words I could not hear. They were probably reconciling as I stood there dumbly. The crumpled note in my hand falling to the ground.

Time moved around me in slow motion, I couldn't even register my cousins calling my name. "Looks like you were wrong Nico." I thought bitterly.

Jealousy was an ugly monster, more hideous than the ugliest of people. It could make people do crazy things. I wanted to run over there and snatch her away but I knew deep down it wasn't my place.

"Seren, hey Seren, snap out of it." Henry grabbed my shoulder, forcing me to turn away from the couple. I wasn't sure how long I had been watching, maybe a few seconds? It felt like an eternity.

I turned to him, sure I looked as heartbroken as I felt. "Henry, please take me away." I pleaded, clinging onto his hand. Suddenly, I was relieved that only he, Luna, and my cousins knew my true feelings.

The latter three were staring at me in concern. Luna looked deeply disturbed by the whole situation, her face frozen in thought. Meanwhile Julien and Zoya shared similar looks of worry, Julien staring at her bestfriend with a disapproving look.

"Yeah, whenever you want to go." Henry wrapped his arm around me protectively. He glared at the couple one last time before guiding me away. I would owe my friends an explanation later but I couldn't bare to be around them anymore.

Once we were safely out of their view, warm tears began to roll down my cheeks. I was too tired to care about who saw now.

We walked until we reached the school's library, it was empty around this time. Henry led me to a quiet table in the corner, sunlight filtering onto the wooden material.

"Please don't cry, he's not worth your tears." With a gentle touch, he brushed the teardrops running down my face. His voice was laced with concern and a slight hint of anger. "I don't know how he could do that to you."

This almost caused a brand new wave of sobs. I planted my face in his chest, clinging to him tightly. He brought his chair closer to my own, making it easier for me to hold him.

"He doesn't owe me anything, I-I just thought..." I hiccuped. "It felt like we had a connection."

My words came out slightly muffled due to his shirt, Henry rubbing soothing circles into my back. I had never felt more thankful for him than I had in that moment.

"No. Don't blame yourself, anyone with eyes could see he liked you. I don't know what his problem is but you don't deserve to be strung along." He moved a hand to stroke my head.

I sniffled and leaned back to look at him. "Why did he go back to her, can't he see how much I care about him?" My voice was soft. The ache in my heart more dull now.

Henry smiled in a gentle, placating way. "Some people can't face change. They'd rather run back to familiar."

Mulling his words, I sat there quietly allowing him to hold me. It seemed like a nice way of saying Aki was too much of a coward to pursue me. He and Audrey seemed to grow without each other but neither wanted to admit it. It was hard watching them cling to each other when both of their poles were repulsing.

"What do I do now?" I questioned, feeling lost and hurt. "I don't mope over anyone, I am a Winters after all." I tried, cracking a slightly smile.

I had never been heartbroken before, not even when I left Texas for New York. This feeling was foreign to me and I hated every bit of it. The faster I removed the pain from my chest the better, I wanted to cry and scream at all once.

Henry looked at me with his tender brown gaze. "Now you move on, show him what he's missing." He smirked, the dimples in his cheeks even more appealing.

If there was an award for someone who always knew what to say I would nominate him for it every time.

I nodded sullenly. "Can we skip school, just until lunch at least?" Forcing myself to go to class and pretend everything was fine wouldn't work todayㅡ maybe tomorrow, but not today.

"We can do whatever you want princess, your wish is my command." He pressed a kiss into my forehead, making my smile widen. "One day off from school won't kill us."

Henry and I took off from the library, heading out into the streets of New York. Today I would get into whatever trouble my heart so desired.

I would be okay eventually, there was no use in crying over spilled milk. Even if that milk was a beautiful skater by the name of Akeno Menzies. Everything happened for a reason.

—————————————————————
alright don't hate me! there will be more aki + serenity soon, do you think aki and audrey are really back together?