anti-romantic

"My heart is already chasing after you and burning with small embers..."

Birds chirped loudly outside, sunlight filtering in the room

Birds chirped loudly outside, sunlight filtering in the room. Reaching over to turn off my alarm, I let out a tired sigh. What happened last night plagued my mind. Shortly after arriving home, I had received a million texts from my cousins. Both reassured that I had done nothing wrong, their words momentarily relaxed my unease. Despite this, I didn't want to face my biggest fear.

Akeno Menzies.

His girlfriend and I always seemed to be at each other's throats. It was off putting how quickly Audrey took a disliking to me and I had no idea how to fix it. "Or maybe she should fix it since I did nothing to her." I grumbled, standing at my bathroom sink. The moments of our first meeting replayed, there was truly nothing I had done to her. Right?

My motions faltered as I thought about walking with Aki to lunch. Possibly I had been too friendly with another person's boyfriend. "But I was never like that with my boyfriend." A soft smile appeared on my face, I never had to be like that.

Nico Ballard was the kindest person in the world and he never made me doubt for a moment. Mom once said, "Love is certain, one of the few certains in this world. No one should ever make you question their love." Maybe Audrey needed to hear something like that.

While flowing through my morning routine I decided to call Julien. After a few rings, a familiar voice flowed on the other end. "And what can I do for you on this lovely morning, Serenity." She sounded upbeat, probably just got done with her morning insta live.

"Jules, why does Audrey hate me?" No need to dance around the question. My fingers paused their search through a rack of shirts. I heard my cousin shuffling around and then the drag of a chair.

"She doesn't hate you Rennie, she's just...going through a lot right now." Julien's voice was soft, care evident in her tone. "You're an anomaly here Ren, a variable. She doesn't do well with change and you are changing everything." I took the time to think on her words.

Grabbing a warm sweater, I walked towards the skirt rack. "But I haven't done anything, I've only been here a day. It seems she hasn't trusted me the moment I walked up to that table." An indignant feeling came over me. "If she doesn't have room to make new friends that's fine, but don't take it out on me."

Julien breathed out, it was a gentle sigh. "Maybe it's because she thinks you're stealing her boyfriend." I could nearly see her wince as I let out an exasperated sound. "Stealing her boyfriend? Someone who loves you cannot be stolen, and I am no thief." My face flushed with anger.

"I know you would never wreck a relationship, Ren." Click. She was opening a makeup palette, something I knew because it was almost time for her morning makeup reel. "But she and Aki have been drifting apart for awhile and she sees you as the Beyoncé to her Destiny's Child."