Chapter 3: The Night Fury

The villagers, Hiccup, Emily and Stoick all just watch the dragons fly back to the nest with half of the village livestock before everyone's stares were all directed to Hiccup, who was tense and was looking around and noticing them. He glanced at Emily and to his father before pointing to the woodland area.

"Okay, but I hit a Night Fury." Hiccup quickly said while trying to hide behind Emily to save him the shame.

Fed up with his son's antics and the constant disaster adding to the list, Stoick grabs Hiccup by the back of his shirt and drags him towards the house. Emily tried to follow but was stopped by Gobber who shook his head as she watched her friend get dragged by his dad as he tried to explain and reason with him but she could clearly see that he was fuming in embarrassment and annoyance.

"It's not like the last few times, Dad! I mean, I really actually hit it! You guys were busy and I had a very clear shot. It went down, just off Raven Point. Let's get a search party out there, before it could-" Hiccup tried to explain before Stoick had enough.

"STOP!" Stoick shouted loudly and this made Hiccup to shut up quickly as Emily winced at the sheer volume of Stoick's voice. Talk about a boom box and Miko wasn't that loud.

"Just... stop. Every time you step outside, disaster follows. Can you not see that I have bigger problems? Winter's almost here and I have an entire village to feed!" Stoick exclaimed as Hiccup looked around meekly to think of a way out of the conversation.

"Between you and me, the village could do with a little less feeding, don't ya think?" Hiccup tried to let out a small joke as a few self-conscious vikings at the back rubbed their stomachs as if to say 'are you calling us fat?' as Emily coughs behind her fist.

"This isn't a joke, Hiccup! Why can't you follow the simplest orders?" Stoick said as he was getting a little irritated. Why can't his son just stay put with Emily Winters?

"I can't stop myself. I see a dragon and I have to just... kill it, you know? It's who I am, Dad." Hiccup said but he was looking defeated as Stoick rubbed his temples feeling a headache forming.

"You are many things, Hiccup. But a dragon killer is not one of them. Get back to the house." Stoick ordered as Hiccup just looked down sadly to hide the hurt in his eyes as Stoick looked at Gobber.

"Make sure he and Winters get there. I have his mess to clean up." Stoick said and starts to walk away.

Having enough of how Stoick was treating her friend and his son, Emily spoke up and stood in his way.

"Chief Stoick, I don't appreciate how you call the damage around the village your son's mess. Sure he may be a magnet to trouble but not always. I would appreciate it if you would just consider how he feels. He's not a nuisance and not useless." Emily said before walking towards Hiccup without a second thought as the villagers just watched her stun with their chief.

Gobber snapped out of his shock and followed her and smacked Hiccup's head lightly but he couldn't help but sympathize with him as he escorted the young heir in the walk of shame. They passed by the villagers who were all looking down at him in disappointment but quickly stopped when Emily was giving them a warning glare. They soon pass by the other teens of the village who mocked and made fun of Hiccup.

"Quite the performance." Tuffnut said and tried to give a smile to Emily since he sees her in a new light but was pushed forward slightly by his twin.

"I've never seen anyone mess up that badly. That helped!" Snotlout taunted as he promptly rubbed it on his cousin's face.

"Thank you, thank you. I was trying, so..." Hiccup said dejectedly and avoided the glare Astrid was giving him.

Before Gobber could even push Snotlout to the ground for how he tried to make Hiccup feel more hurt, Emily beat him to that by punching him right on the nose as he let out a pained yelp while she followed Hiccup. Who knew that girl was so scary.