Chapter 7: The start of a forbidden friendship

Later that afternoon after the incident at the arena, Hiccup entered with a shield and a fish with Emily right behind him as she was holding a cabbage with salmon.

Hiccup looks over the shield to see if the Night Fury and Optimus were in his line of sight but the two weren't. Making sure to see if the cost was clear, he tossed the cod in his hand over the shield and it landed with a splat on the ground. Still nothing, he walked forward but the shield was instantly stuck between two rocks that he and Emily were hiding behind.

He tried to pull it back but it wouldn't budge so he crawled underneath it while Emily just went around the rocks as he tried to pull it from the other side but it was stuck and caused him to sigh before looking back at the cod. He picks it up and starts making his way around the cove while Emily seems to be at ease at the moment as they were looking for their scaly friends.

Unknown to them, the Night Fury and Optimus were hiding and watching them curiously. Optimus took a quick whiff of the air when he smelt something and looked to where Emily is and almost instantly his mouth began to water at the sight of the fish and vegetables. Even though he finds it strange that he needs organic sustenance, it doesn't seem like a bad thing to imagine.

Emily heard something move just beside them and she nudged Hiccup instantly when she spotted their scaly friends. Hiccup let out a short gasp when he saw the Night Fury creeping out from its hiding spot while Optimus just followed and was looking at the two expectantly. The Night Fury sniffs at Hiccup cautiously but mainly the fish and takes on a defensive stance.

Hiccup swallowed his fear and held out the fish to the hungry dragon. It approached him slowly but quickly retreated with a warning growl when a faint metallic scent reached his nose. Hiccup backed away slightly and moved his vest away to reveal the dagger that he brought before Emily nudged him gently.

"I don't think it likes the knife, Hiccup." Emily whispered while eyeing the Night Fury cautiously as Optimus was a little wary.

"Yeah, I kinda figured that out already." Hiccup whispered back.

Hiccup moved his hand to the dagger and got a defensive growl in response. He gulped slightly before taking the dagger from his waistband slowly and dropping it on the ground. The Night Fury was still unconvinced and made a motion for him to throw it away. Hiccup understood the gesture for some reason, used his foot to pick the dagger up before tossing it into the pond with a small splash of the water.

Once the weapon or threat was gone, the Night Fury instantly calmed down and was looking like a curious puppy and Emily had to stop herself from laughing as she moved to Optimus who came to her as she gave him his fish and cabbage and made him warble softly in content while scratching his chin and making him purr deeply. Hiccup watched that before holding out the fish again before the Night Fury approached him slowly before opening its mouth to reveal rather teeth less gums. How the heck is the Night Fury gonna eat the fish?

"Huh, no teeth." Emily pointed out in confusion while Optimus just tilted his head curiously.

"Huh. Toothless. I could've sworn you had-" Hiccup pondered but was interrupted when the Night Fury's teeth slid out from its gums and quickly snatched the fish from him.

Hiccup let out a startled yelp and watched the Night Fury chomped on the fish in two bites before swallowing it whole and licked its chomps in satisfaction on getting to eat something. Emily, Hiccup and Optimus just stared in startled bewilderment at what they just discovered.

"... Teeth." Hiccup finished weakly while his eyes were wide.

The Night Fury then looked at him before approaching the boy and causing him to start backing away but fell back when he tripped over a rock and started to crawl backwards only for his back to hit a rock. The Night Fury was now towering over him as they were now inches apart.