Chapter 12: The nest, What are we gonna do

They then flew from the island while Astrid tried to find the right words to describe what she just saw.

"Alright, I admit it. This is pretty cool. It's... amazing. He's amazing." Astrid said as she put a hand on Toothless as if thanking him for showing her that dragons aren't monsters.

"About time you stop and see the perspective of a dragon." Emily spoke up as Astrid looked over to see her standing on the other dragon.

Astrid's eyes softened as she knew that she had to apologize about what happened.

"Listen, about what happened at the arena, the cove and the Nadder the other day, I just want to say-" Astrid said but Hiccup cut her off with a soft tone.

"A-Astrid, it's okay. We forgive you but it's gonna take some time for me to heal completely." Hiccup told her as Optimus warbled softly as Astrid's eyes softened at this.

Then she remembered that they had another problem to deal with as they flew through some fog.

"So what now?" Astrid asked but only got a sigh in response.

"Hiccup, your final exam is tomorrow. You know you're going to have to kill a... kill a dragon." Astrid said as she whispered the last part so Toothless and the other dragon wouldn't hear.

"Don't remind me." Hiccup said in dismay.

"We'll try and figure out a way to show them." Emily said before she tensed.

Toothless suddenly took a sharp dive with Optimus following suit as Emily held on with Astrid and Hiccup crying out in surprise.

"Toothless, what's happening? Whoa, what is it?" Hiccup asked but didn't get an answer.

"Optimus, what's going on with you?" Emily asked worriedly as Optimus warbled but it sounded strain which made her worried.

They almost bump into a Monstrous Nightmare and Emily knows they have to try and stay hidden.

"Get down!" Hiccup whispered as they leaned against the backs of their dragons.

They soon found themselves surrounded by hundreds of dragons who are all carrying animals or food. Emily looked around and her eyes widened when she saw three dragons by the coloration.

"Smokescreen. Ultra Magnus. Tailgate" Emily called out in a whisper and the other Night Fury, Beezelord and Dramilion looked towards her with strain expressions and she knew that something was wrong.

"What's going on?" Astrid asked nervously as she glanced around at the dragons.

"I don't know. Toothless. You've got to get us out of here, bud." Hiccup said as he tried to get Toothless to snap out of it but Toothless snapped at him to be quiet.

Emily was able to direct Optimus to fly a little closer as she noticed that the dragons have food in their clutches.

"It looks like they're hauling in their kills." Emily noted with her whole body tense.

"Uh, what does that make the three of us?" Astrid asked nervously.

The dragons all suddenly dive down as the three riders all let out startled screams while the dragons flew around a maze of sea stacks before they saw something that shocked them. It was the nest. The island that Stoick has been trying to find. They felt chills go through their body as they flew through an entrance as the riders let out startled screams. They soon exited to a glowing crimson chamber with lots of dragons inside.

"What my dad wouldn't give to find this." Hiccup muttered nervously while Astrid held onto him nervously while both Hiccup and Emily glanced around warily.