Tapped Line (Amáya)

My eyes darted between monitors, watching every move of each pair of the team. Especially Drew and Andie. It was almost comical how awkward the situation was. But every drop of sympathy I had for that team ran dry years ago. I don't have time to mess around with anyone that's going to hinder my goal.

That is, except for Drew.

Drew.

My head filled with fantasies of him and me running away to an island together, doing as we please. I don't want power. My father does. My father wants me to use my ability to hurt other people. The thing is, I don't want to hurt anyone. I want to hurt nine people, and their names are listed on my wall in permanent ink with thousands of sticky notes adding personal details.

A knock at the door frame startled me, and I immediately switched moods.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"Permission to state my case, ma'am."

"Permission granted."

"They're planning an escape."

"Duh. What do you think we put them in there for?"

"Well- I mean- they've had help."

"From who?" I demanded, my eyes narrowing.

"The town we put Mercier and Oliveira in. The Hackett family. Frank and Catherine specifically."

"What are they doing to aid them, exactly? Of course there are going to be people that see two kids fall out of the sky and help them."

"He's part of the Dusk ma'am."

My mouth gaped in shock, but I quickly regained my composure.

"Who decided where to send Mercier and Oliveira to?"

"You did."

I jumped out of my chair and grabbed the soldier by the collar, pulling his face down to look at mine.

"Captain," I threatened in a hushed but firm tone. "I asked you a question. Who decided where to send Mercier and Oliveira to?"

His breathing began to rapidly increase, and the uncomfortable silence made him sweat.

"Um, I..."

"Don't misspeak, Captain Mattias. Who?"

"Colonel Pérez," He said, looking down. "He set up the families. None of the other members are with a direct contact of The Dusk, but there are indications in every location."

"Wonderful. Was that difficult?"

"No, ma'am." He replied timidly, his face becoming flushed.

"Excellent. I want you to go back to wherever you came from, and don't come back in here until we have the team where we want them."

"What if they actually get out?"

"Mattias," I sighed. "I've changed my mind. You need to go back to the desk and reread the Plan. At least your part of it. Because you are too stupid to be a messenger." I pivoted on my heel, tossing a large folder behind me. It hit his chest and the papers scattered on the floor in the hallway. "And shut the door."

He scrambled to find the door handle, and eventually I was in my private realm again. I relaxed into my office chair and wheeled over to the intercom.

647 "Álvarez?"

"Yes, General Benguela?"

"First, stop calling me General. The General is my father. You are to address me as ma'am. That's it."

"Forgive me, ma'am."

"Second, I want you to page General Benguela and Colonel Pérez for a meeting at noon."

"Where?"

"In the conference room on the third floor."

"Yes ma'am. Would you like anything sent up for lunch?"

"I'll have the usual. Ropa vieja, please."

"Yes ma'am. It'll be sent up as soon as possible."

"Thank you, Álvarez."

"Loyalty to my leaders, the Benguelas."

The line clicked and I tapped in another number.

309 "Castillo."

"Major Castillo in technología. How can I help you?"

"I want you to tap Andie's line again."

"Yes ma'am. Would you like a bracket of time, or free range?"

"Free range."

"The program has been sent to your computer, ma'am. Whenever you are ready to speak to her, you can talk through the microphone. We had a psychologist come in and work out some kinks. You will sound just like her inner dialogue."

"Wonderful. So the voice modulator is in effect?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Thank you, Castillo."

"Loyalty to my leaders, the Benguelas."

I hung up the phone and wheeled back to my computer. Sure enough, the window opened to a camera watching Andie in her hotel room, and a SELECT MICROPHONE button. I selected it, and could hardly contain my excitement as the microphone rose from a hidden compartment in my desk. Everything's falling into place.