The Birth of The Twins

A/N: More dialogue used from Revenge of the Sith. I don't own so please don't sue. And put those tissues away, everybody!!!! This is a happy chapter....well.....sort of. Actually, just keep them nearby because it's not going to be that easy of a chapter.

The next time Padmé wakes up, she can't remember much but sees a face that she recognizes. She feels that she is on some kind of cot somewhere.

"Obi-Wan," she calls out weakly, squinting her eyes to keep out the bright light. She struggles to breathe. She can feel his hand on her shoulder and leans into his touch with the little strength she has left. "Is Anakin alright?" she asks. In response, Obi-Wan moves a hand to her head and slowly strokes the side of it. She weakly nestles her head into his hand, relishing in the comfort it brings. Obi-Wan is someone safe and someone she can trust. Padmé lapses back into unconsciousness from exhaustion, trying to remember what had happened as she lets sleep take her.

She doesn't know how much later but she wakes up again this time with more bright lights shining down on her. She squints her eyes to allow them to adjust.

"Obi-Wan!" she calls out again, her voice cracked and weak from being choked by Anakin. The door to the room opens and Padmé weakly cranes her neck to see who it could be. She can't quite see who it is.

"Padmé," she hears Zaja's voice say as she enters the room, "how are you feeling?"

"I...I don't know," Padmé replies weakly, "Where's Anakin? Is he alright?" Padmé sees Zaja not really give much of an answer.

"I don't know how to tell you this, Padmé," she says sadly, "No one really knows for certain what happened to him."

"What?" Padmé starts to ask but is interrupted by a contraction attacking her lower abdomen. She gasps at the pain. Medical droids start to come over and Padmé realizes that she must be in a medical center. She looks down and for the first time notices the white gown typically associated with medical centers. Her hair lays out around her on the gurney, taken out of the style she had it in earlier. The medical droids start to help her body manage the pain. Padmé shuts her eyes, feeling so tired, so sad, so drained. Everything has fallen to pieces and she just can't do it anymore.

"Padmé, you need to stay with us," Zaja begs.

"We have to save your babies," one of the medical droids says.

"Babies?" Padmé breathes out. She can feel her breathing getting weaker by the minute.

"Yes, you are carrying twins," the droid answers.

"Twins??? Ani and I never planned on..." Padmé starts but Zaja shushes her. She leans over Padmé and through the haziness of her vision, Padmé notices that Zaja isn't wearing all of her robes as she was earlier. She's only wearing a flowy outer tunic. Padmé, though she just thinks that she's seeing things due to her poor state of health, thinks she sees some kind of round swelling in Zaja's abdominal area just as the fabric of the tunic moves a certain way.

But she can't be sure and her eyes flutter back shut.

She wakes back up again to Obi-Wan in the room with her this time.

And her abdomen is hurting like it never has before.

"Obi-Wan?" she asks and her Jedi friend moves closer to her bedside.

"I'm right here, Padmé," Obi-Wan replies. He gently tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear and tries to wipe some of the sweat from her forehead, "The medical droids are inducing you. They think that's the best thing to do right now." Padmé gives another shaky breath as she looks up at Obi-Wan. Another contraction hits her abdomen, causing her to cry out. She gasps as the pain secedes for a moment.