Conversation

As Karna was leaving the Hall, he heard a voice calling his name. He turned to find Draupadi standing there.

He went there and gently asked, "Ji Samragini".

TO which Draupadi shook her head and said, " I am no longer the Samragini. I am a commoner, kindly address me as such."

To which Karna said, "as you wish Devi, now please tell me what can I do for you."

Draupadi spoke, "Why did you help me? I insulted you Infront of everyone based on your cast. And when my own husbands turned a deaf ear to my cries, you raised your voice for me. Why?"

Karna smiled and said, "I accept I was angry, not because you insulted me on the basis of my cast as I am proud to be the son of such loving parents, but because you snatched an opportunity to showcase my talent and ability. And as far as raising voice for you is concerned, it was the right thing to do. No matter what the situation is, a women's honour and dignity is not something which should be played with. "

To this Draupadi said," I am sorry Angraj, I was very young back then. I only emerged from fire a few months before my swayambara, and was not well aware about this world, and so tried to understand everything by observing, thus the biases which effect the royals also influenced me.
From the day I was born, I was conditioned to only love Arjuna. And during the Swayambara, I knew that apart from Arjuna only you can complete the task successfully. Therefore, I was nervous, and spoke out those word in my haste to stop you from participating.
As I came to understand this world better, I realised how meaningless this cast system is. And regretted my words at the Swayambara.
Till today, I was never able to gather my courage to apologize.
But, I hope you would accept my apology and relieve me from this burden."

Karna smiled again and said, "Devi kindly refer to me as Radhey, as I have left the thrown. And regarding the swayambara I forgive you. And, I appreciate your strength for apologizing, as it is not easy to accept our mistakes in front of others. Moreover, I should be thankful to you for stopping me from participating, as it was because of the events which took place, that I met my wife, and found my peace and joy in her. So, i guess everything that happens has a reason and sometimes what we see as unfair, plays an important role in shaping us as a  person.

To which Draupadi nodded her head.

Karna hesitated and said," Can I ask you something Devi?"

Draupadi nodded

Karna said," Would it be okay if I wish you to be like a sister to me. As I do not know why but I feel a similar bond with you which I felt for Shon."

Draupadi was initially shocked listening to the request, but then a bright smile spread on her face. And she said, "Of course Bharata Shri. I would love to be your sister. But then asked out of curiousity, who is Shon Bharatashri?"

To this Karna smiled a melancholic smile and said, "he was my younger brother. Who was murdered by this unfair society by filling his mouth with molten gold for reciting a Veda. Thus, he became the inspiration for me to pick up weapons, to fight for the injustices being done to the people of the lower cast."

Listening to this Draupadi realised that she has unknowingly picked a painful subject from Karna's past, and she said," I am sorry Bharatashri for bringing it up."

Karna smiled and said," Its not your fault Devi."

To which Draupadi just nodded and said, "Bhratashri, please do not address me as Devi, since I have accepted you as my older brother."

To which karna said, "how about Panchali then?"

And Draupadi nodded her head in approval.

Karna then said," I am really sorry Panchali, but I would need to run. I am in Hastinapur and if I do not go to meet my Radha ma. Then it won't be long before the news of my horrible demise would be heard all around."

To which Draupadi nodded in amusement on Karna's antics.

And Karna left for his house, bidding farewell to Draupadi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

Here's the next chapter.
Hope you are enjoying the story.

Kindly share your views and thoughts on the story in the comments.