Punishment - 1

Draupadi getting an approval from Maharaj and words of comfort from Gandhari went down and stood in the centre of the hall.

She then spoke,
"I would first like to thank Maharaj for allowing me to give punishment to all those who caused immense pain and suffering to me yesterday."
She then turned to Duryodhan and said, "I would also like to apologize for insulting you at the Rajsuya Yagya, I realised my mistake of insulting you and am really guilty about my actions. Having said that, you still did not have the right to play with my dignity and honor. For a women her dignity and honor is the most important thing, and snatching it from her, is worst then killing her."

to this Duryodhan bowed his head, and said "I apologize for my actions. My anger due to my humiliation blinded me and I blindly followed the advice of my mamashri. And I would accept any punishment for getting your forgiveness Bhabhishri"

Saying that Duryodhan looked towards his wife, who smiled and nodded her head in approval.

Draupadi was a little surprised at Duryodhan's words. She never expected him to be genuinely apologetic. It was true that Duryodhan apologized to her yesterday, but being distressed that time, she was not able to understand whether it was genuine or not. But since she was more composed today, she was able to read Duryodhan's emotions in a much better way. Hence she was a little surprised by the change in his attitude, especially on being addressed as Bhabhishri. It was a new change, but not an unwelcome one though

She remembered all what Karna said yesterday, and realised that Duryodhan's arrogance is a way to hide his pain and emotions. The pain that he had been hiding from everyone, the pain of being labelled as a bad omen from his childhood, the pain of being ignored by the people whom you consider family and the pain of being blamed for every wrong thing happening. Deep down Duryodhan is a compassionate and kind hearted person, whose loving side has been crushed by the pain and sufferings he had to face in this family, and which has only been witnessed by Karna, Bhanumati and his younger siblings.

She understood that Duryodhan only yearned for someone to love him, that's why he became a puppet in the hands of Mama Shakuni. Who used this fact, and in disguise for caring about Duryodhan, tried to use him for destroying his own family.

As soon as she realised this, she cursed the Kuru elders in her mind for treating a child in this manner. She also thanked lord for sending Karna and Bhanumati in Duryodhan's life, because it was the love that Duryodhan had for them which helped him to realise his mistake and try to come back on the path of Dharma.
and now seeing the change she was a little happy, as she believed if Shakuni can be separated from Duryodhan )which is already happening). Then all these brothers can come together. It will take some time, but they can definitely be a proper family.

Thinking about all this she smiled and said, "Accepting once mistake in front of everyone is not easy yuvraj, and I respect you for acknowledging your actions. And as far as my forgiveness is concerned, my punishment is my forgiveness."

Saying this she turned to Mahamantri Vidhur and asked, " for how long can a yuvraj stay away from his duties?"

Mahamantri Vidhur simply replied, "For maximum of one week."

Draupadi nodded, turned towards Duryodhan and spoke, "For the next one week, Duryodhan would have to be disguised as a woman and work as a Dasi in the palace of Virat. I will make all the arrangements of you going there and will send a letter to the queen of virat stating that I am sending a Dasi for a week, not revealing your identity to them. Be sure that no one recognises you. The purpose of the punishment is to make you understand the life of a Dasi, their struggles and hardships. So that you can understand the effects of your actions yesterday and so that it never repeats again.

And Duryodhan, it was the first time you addressed me as Bhabhishri, and it felt good hearing it from you with affection and not anger or envy. I hope after this, we can all be a proper family.

Duryodhan simply smiled and said, "I accept your punishment Bhabhishri, and I would try to be the best Devar for you. And I also promise you that there will be no enmity or hatred from my side. This has already dragged for long, and I want to give a loving family to my kids and ensure that they grow up in a better environment than the environment which I had to endure."

Draupadi smiled and nodded her head in agreement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note –

Hope you are enjoying the story.
Kindly share your views.