Only One

I sat atop the wall, still tired from waking up. As I gazed down at the Glade, I suddenly wondered how long it had been since I'd been down there with them. It was difficult to tell time back in WICKED's labs. You sleep and when you are needed, they brought you breakfast. Other than that, there wasn't really a time increment to base off of.

Either way, the Greenie had become a runner in the time I was gone. I knew because I didn't see him in the Glade, and the runners weren't back yet. Then again, I didn't see Gally either.

I looked up at the false sky. I always knew it was weird, but it was worse now that it was off. Well, half off. It was still providing some light.

Thomas and Minho appeared at the West Door and I zoomed in on them. Thomas looked tired. They ran right to the map room. I moved my attention elsewhere. Newt and Alby were talking near the homestead. Alby occasionally looked toward the map room, making me sure they were talking about the maze. Poor boy. Now he was the one that didn't know anything.

Those two started walking over to the map room and Minho emerged with Thomas in tow. They spoke for a while, before most headed to the homestead. Thomas seemed to be heading into the Deadheads. Not long after, that girl that appeared a while ago ran into the Deadheads after him. I waited a bit, wondering how long it would take for them to realize the Doors should be closing.

Next I saw, they were dragging the girl to the slammer. I guess that was the sign everyone was waiting for to panic. Suddenly everyone was being assigned to something. The builders were putting up barricades, and Gally still didn't appear. I hoped he wasn't dead.

Everyone was busy. Of course they would be. No one wanted to think about what was happening. All I had left to do was call the Grievers and wait.

As Newt ushered the last few Gladers into the homestead, I pulled out a harmonica that Beatrice had given me. A single note sounded as I blew, matching the low moaning sound of a Griever.

Dumb things didn't appear for a couple hours, even with about five more calls on the harmonica. I tried to urge them on mentally, but apparently I have a limit as to how close they need to be.

As I said, it was a few hours before I heard them close enough to respond. I willed them toward the glade, guiding them, even though they probably already knew the way. They were at the door when I noticed a figure darting toward the homestead. I zoomed in, but he was already inside. I shook it off, figuring it might be my imagination.

Beyond getting them here, I really didn't feel like helping the Grievers. So it was a while before anything really happened.

Suddenly, there was a loud sound, like someone screaming. There were suddenly several voices wafting up from the previously silent homestead. A few Grievers were attracted by the sound. The rest I started herding out of there.

"You don't ... want... to remember!" I heard the call loud and clear, before the Grievers pulled out their prize. Him.

That was it. They were done. I stood and herded them back to their Griever hole, kidnapping their victim from them before they could actually take him inside. Luckily, Minho had run back before they took him inside. I quickly hauled him to the top of the wall and laid him down, smiling. I'd know that big, deformed nose anywhere.

I quickly pulled Gally over my shoulders, wincing as I stepped on my bad leg. But the night was worth it.