How to Escape?

I sat at least three hours waiting for the scientists to get Gally awake. It was strange. It was like watching a movie in which the main character's friend falls into a coma, and every moment became excruciatingly long. It was after they left that he finally woke up.

He was moaning something awful as he tried to sit up. I quickly walked over to stop him.

"They said you need to rest, Shuck-face," I said, smirking at him.

"Elliot?" He blinked at me. "Where are we?"

"In the walls," I replied. I figured it was accurate enough.

"In? But that's-" His eyes shot open and he looked around. "No. We have to get out of here. Quickly!" He yelled all this while struggling just to sit up.

"Hold still, Slint-head!" I yelled back, trying to restrain him. "That wasn't acupuncture those Grievers were doing to ya."

He groaned and gave in. "As soon as I can move, I'm getting you out of here... Speaking of," oh boy... "weren't you dead a few days ago or something?"

"Yeah, uh..." I rubbed the back of my neck, not meeting his half glare. "Sorry about that. I don't even know why I left."

"You could have said goodbye," he muttered. "Even Newt was confused as to where you had gone."

"What'd the greenie think?" I asked, despite his expression turning even more sour at the term.

"No one told him. No reason to."

"S'pose that could be good." I ruffled his hair. "Now get yourself some rest, shank." I turned to take my seat again and he grabbed my wrist.

"Wait, Elliot," he said. I turned back to him.

"Yeah?"

"WICKED isn't what they seem," he whispered. "Don't listen to them."

"Gally, you got stung. You remembered, didn't you? Everything we were doing-"

"Was a waste," he finished for me. "They were lying. I'll explain once we get out, but please." His grip tightened on my wrist. "Try to remember beyond what they told you."

I nodded as he released my wrist. I sat down in the corner again, my mind racing over what Gally had said.

༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜

It was noon the day after I found Gally, that he was finally able to get out of bed. He had lunch with me and Maz. That was one thing dissimilar. Maz hadn't decided to save anyone apparently.

Gally was suspicious of the food. Both me and Maz were probably torturing him because of it. And just like with the lighters, we managed to cause a food fight and forced Gally to take cover under the table. Not that that prevented me from shoving a cream pie into his face.

The whole day was Gally, Maz, and I exploring. No one specifically stopped us, except for a doctor needing a DNA sample from Gally. At dinner, Mr. Rode finally joined us. And it was bathed in awkward silence. Up until the end, no one spoke.

"So, Gally," Mr. Rode suddenly spoke up as the plates were being cleared. "From the information I gathered, you wanted to leave the facility?"

"Yes," he responded, his words obviously guarded. "I'm not exactly... interested in continuing this program. I believe it may be less than safe." I could see his gaze turn to me for a second.

"Well then, by all means, you're welcome to leave," Mr. Rode said, obviously surprising Gally. "On one condition, though."

"What's that?" Gally asked.

"We need to finish our experiment, in a similar fashion as Group B's finished," Mr. Rode explained. "But if Thomas is anything like his own counterpart, your compliance could easily cause your death."

"Then he won't do it," I cut in. Mr. Rode held up a hand.

"Let me finish," he said. "We have found a way to potentially prevent this problem. And so, if you will do as we tell you, we will let you go free."

"I want the chip removed too," Gally said. "For me, and for Elliot." I glanced at him, hoping he knew what he was doing.

"We can do that," Mr. Rode replied. "And while we're at it, I suppose Maz would probably want to go with you."

Maz nodded. "I'm not losing my new found sister."

"Then we'll remove yours as well." With that comment, he stood and exited. I looked at Gally.

"What was that?"

"We're escaping," Gally said.

"Escaping? These people have helped us."

"And condemned our friends to death. Just for their experiments." He looked at Maz. "If I had to guess, this experiment killed the girl who loved him."

Maz looked away. "Don't drag me into this."

Gally gestured. I had to admit, the fact that Maz hadn't brought someone back was suspicious.

"So we escape. Then what?" I stared at Gally. "Wander the dead world and hope that we find a civilization?"

"I found people who can help us. When I left the Glade, I found help. But I need you both to trust me..."

After a moment, I nodded. Gally looked to Maz.

"I'm going with her either way," Maz said.

Gally nodded. "Then we can leave as soon as the chips are removed."

༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜

It was long after curfew, and I was busy reading a book, when my door opened. I reached for the blade under my pillow and found myself pointing it at Gally. He put a finger to his lips as he moved over and sat at the foot of my bed.

"What is it?" I asked, sure something was wrong.

"I was eavesdropping," he said. "They were planning when they would be removing the chips."

"So?"

"So, they plan to do you last. To have your brain cracked open while I'm following their script."

"Probably because that's the best time for it." I shrugged. "Your point?"

"That's not it," he said, shaking his head. "They have plenty of time to get the chips out for all of us. They're taking mine out in the morning so I'll be finished before I have to do anything. Your brother will be right after me. But they're not scheduling a specific time for you."

"So you think they're trying to use me to motivate you..." I was starting to get what he was trying to say.

"Exactly. Your life will be on the line depending on how I do."

"This sounds like paranoia," I said, closing the book. "They're not that evil."

"How would you know?" he asked. "Your memories are only the ones they left with you. Do you remember before the program?" No. "Do you remember your name before they gave it to you?" No. "Do you remember the terror of watching our friends be sent into the glade for a full year?" No. "They control what you remember. The chips help. Until that is gone, you will remember what they want."

"So they're the bad guys."

"Yes." I rolled my eyes. "Believe me or don't. But tomorrow, I want you to insist that they remove your chip right after they do your brother's."

"I can try," I said. "Now get your shuck ass to bed."

He nodded and went to the door, before turning back with a smirk. "See you in the morning, Slinthead."

"See you in the morning, klunk face."

And he left.