Story #5 - Spring Morning

Warm sunlight poured onto my face as I tilted my head up to the sky. I could feel the heat soaking into my skin.

This early spring morning was an especially nice one as the eggs of the small finches nesting in my favourite tree had hatched overnight and were now chirping noisily, signalling their mother that they craved sustenance.

Their small chirps made me smile. I felt a small brush of wind on my face as the mother bird flew past and landed in the nest.

The baby birds rejoiced when they eyed their mother with a large worm in her mouth. They battled profusely in their attempt to secure the prize.

I opened my eyes to have a peek at the nest above me.

Beautiful.

Such a simple yet stunning display of nature. I could watch for hours and not become bored. But alas, I had other things I needed to do.

I unzipped the mesh screen of my swag and climbed out rather clumsily. My feet got caught on my sleeping bag and I toppled onto the grass surrounding me.

I got up and brushed myself off with a small laugh. I had always amazed myself with how uncoordinated I was.

Although the day was slowly warming as the sun came up it was still chilly, so I slipped on my favourite blue puffer jacket. I left it unzipped however not wanting to overheat.

A small breeze began to blow through the trees and I caught the scent of a nearby sweet-smelling lavender bush. This was my favourite spot of the forest to camp as it housed lots of those lavender bushes. They were my mum's favourite, and the smell always reminded me of her.

I tilted my neck and looked back up at the baby birds now content after devouring the worm. Soon, the mother bird would throw them out of the nest in hopes of teaching them how to fly. That's one way to get your kids to move out I guess.

I sat down on the dewy grass beside the tree, the smell of lavender in the breeze and the sound of birds chirping around me. It was the most amazing feeling.

I wish I could stay here forever. Lying in the loose leaves staring at the crystal blue sky, soaking in the sun. It would be heavenly. If only my life was that simple. 

A/N 

I know this one was short, I'm trying to work on my descriptive skills. All feedback and comments are appreciated and encouraged. 

Love to all :)

soph xx