Story #8 - No way home

I woke up sometime around midnight I guess. I wasn't have been completely sure, I couldn't afford a watch. I got out of my makeshift bed, a few boxes and blankets here and there, and walked out of the little alley and into the town square where I found a bench and sat down. I don't know why I did this. It happened every night at the same time. I would always wake up to something, so I went and sat down on this bench until the sun rose. It was almost like I would sit on the bench and wait for something to happen. Nothing ever did though. 

It was always the same. The same rusty metal bench, much of it concreted in dried-up bird poop. The slight breeze blew my matted, greasy hair. The bench would creak as I sat down. I would look out the empty town square. It was always peaceful at this time of night. When the town's occupants were either sleeping or drowning their sorrows in the only bar the council could afford to build. But not me.

There weren't many homeless people in my town, I was one of around 20 in a population of about 3000. We were a dying race. The lowlifes could barely afford to eat every day. It wasn't our fault though, we didn't put ourselves here, that was the council. My generation was different. As you can imagine, the ordinary people of the town didn't like it. They called us mutants, freaks, monsters. The last one hurt more than the rest. Monsters. God, I hated that word. 

Why did they hate us? We had abilities you see, freaky ones. Some people could move things with their minds, some could control other people's movements. That one was especially hated amongst the council. Some mutants could change their appearance, and give themselves an extra arm or leg. That was my favourite, apart from my ability, however. My ability was unique and special, to me anyway. I had the power to control the elements. I loved it. I made it rain whenever I wanted. Then the sun would come out and warm my cheeks. That was the best feeling.

The mutant generation was the result of a science experiment that ended in a leak of highly toxic chemicals killing most of the town. The survivors were exclusively pregnant women. Their children, however, you guessed it, were us, the mutants. The council tried to have us killed. They almost succeeded too, but some of us were able to escape by suppressing our abilities so we could not be identified. 

Most of us lost our families and homes in the attack. That's why we were homeless. We had nothing. Most of us relied on scraps from town events to keep us alive. Unlucky for me my face had been identified numerous for theft at the grocery store. Now, little children screamed when they saw me. That always made my day. 

The sun was coming up and the early risers had started setting up the annual town spring fling. It wasn't much of a carnival though, just a few local businesses trying to sell their merchandise to the same sad people. There were rides for children too. For them, it was the best thing in the world. There were sweet stores and games and the odd plant seller here and there. I would almost be tempted to go if I had any money. 

Most of the locals were gathered now, everyone wanted to check out this year's turnout. It was in full swing, everyone singing and dancing to the live music. I pushed my way through the crowd that formed, pausing at a dodgy looking temporary stage. I watched a happy family singing to the music. 

It would've meant the world to me if I could have that for just one day. But I am to die soon and I don't think I will ever be anything other than an ugly, old mutant that no one wants to be around. I looked up from my wallowing self-pity to see the family in front of me. Their eyes had glazed over in shock. Then the music stopped at the child's scream.