Prologue

October 28th, 1934 

Ansaldo representative: Quindi qualcuno di voi ha qualche idea per un successore della classe Vittorio Veneto? (So any of you have any ideas for a successor to the Vittorio Veneto class?). 

Ansaldo employee #1: Potremmo costruire una versione armata di cannoni da 16 pollici (We could build a version armed with 16-inch guns). 

Ansaldo representative: Ma non abbiamo nemmeno un progetto per una pistola da 16 pollici (But we don't even have plans for a 16-inch gun at all). 

Ansaldo employee #2: Bene, ci vorranno un paio d'anni per trovare un design per uno, ma state tranquilli che ne troveremo uno (Well, it will take a couple of years to find a design for one, but rest assured we will find one). 

Ansaldo representative: Ok, voi due siete liberi di andarvene ora (Okay, you two are free to leave now). 

After the two men were allowed to leave, they suddenly let out sighs of relief, knowing full well that they need to find a suitable design for a 16-inch gun that would be mounted on the successor to the Vittorio Veneto-class ships. 

Ansaldo employee #1: My god, that was tiring wasn't it? 

Ansaldo employee #2: Yes it was Alberto, speaking my country's language is quite a handful sometimes. 

Alberto: Same here Riccardo, come one we should go and start drawing up some designs for the 16-inch guns and the ship itself. 

Riccardo: I agree, so let's get going then, shall we? 

July 14th, 1939 

Alberto: Finally! After 5 years we both managed to come up with a successor to the Vittorio Veneto-class, along with the 16-inch guns of course. 

Riccardo: Yes, but what shall we name it then? 

Alberto: Well it doesn't really have a name yet, so for now let's designate it 'U.P. 41'. 

Riccardo: Hey Alberto, do you think we could come up for successor to this new ship as well? 

Alberto: I don't see why not, but for now we should submit this to the board and see what they think. 

2 hours later... 

Alberto: Well, seems like the board likes the design very much, but they seemed to really like the idea of a successor to U.P. 41. 

Riccardo: Hmm... But how should we design this battleship though? And most importantly, how big should it be? 

Alberto: We received news that our German allies are designing battleships that are very large, so we could take notes from them? 

Riccardo: How about... We add two extra 16-inch gun turrets to the U.P. 41 design and make it longer than any battleship in our arsenal? 

Alberto: That could actually work, it might take a while to build, but it might be worth the wait. 

Riccardo: Alright then I'll have OTO to complete another batch of 16-inch guns, and we'll probably need to request two new turrets for them. 

Alberto: Hey Riccardo, you think we both will see the launch of our successor to the U.P. 41 ship? 

Riccardo: I actually came up with a name for it. 

Alberto: Oh? And what might it be then? 

Riccardo: We should name it 'Marco Polo'. 

Alberto: After the famous traveler right? 

The other man nods in confirmation when Alberto asked him.