Chapter 4 §

I was in a room. Looking around, I felt a sense of déjà vu. I continued to examine my surroundings, confused and curious. And then I saw it. A windowsill. The windowsill.

I gasped and stumbled backwards, recognizing the place of my father's death immediately. How does someone forget something like that?

I put my hand to my mouth and squeezed my eyes shut, willing it to go away.

Please go away.

My mother had moved us out of here as soon as my father died. That seemed like so long ago. So long ago. And just the sight of the window felt like an old, scarred wound being ripped open again.

Then I heard shuffling behind me and tore my eyes away from the open window.

I turned around and locked eyes with my mother.

"It's your fault!" She screamed. I flinched at the sight of her. Her curly bleach blond hair was a tangly mess. Her dress was ripped and she was barefoot. Her lips were pulled back in a horrifying snarl. But that wasn't the thing that terrified me the most.

What terrified me the most was the sharp kitchen knife that she had clutched in her right hand.

I jumped and whimpered before I could stop myself. I looked behind me to find some way to escape and was surprised to see I had backed up in fear and was now only a couple of inches from the window seat. I looked back up at my mother, trying to formulate some kind of plan in my head. But I was too late.

She rushed me and I screamed as we went tumbling out the open window.

And then we were falling.

-----

My eyes flew open, my body covered in a cold sweat. I started to sit up and scream when the full force of my apparent head injury hit me, forcing me to lay back down. I could almost hear my head pounding in my ears. I groaned.

Then I felt a cold rag being pressed to my forehead gently. I opened my eyes slightly, turned my head slowly, and saw none other than Zach sitting next to me.

"Hey," he said softly, almost a whisper. "Take it easy."

I ignored him.

"Zach?!" My voice was quiet and hoarse. I cleared my throat and asked again. "Zach? What happened?" Still hoarse.

Zach looked around at my room that I couldn't see because that would require getting up. And I did not want to do that again.

Zach sighed heavily and replied, "I wish I knew."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Before he had a chance to respond, I gasped. Realization hit me like a brick.

"Where's Carson?! Is he okay?!"

I sat up as quickly as I could without hurting myself, ignoring my protesting skull.

"Wow! Calm down!" said Zach, attempting to get me to lay back down. "He's-" Just then Carson appeared at the top of the stairs, holding a glass of water.

"Mak! Your awake!" He yelled, setting the glass down and giving me a tight hug. I breathed a sigh of relief. He was okay. He was okay.

I looked back over at Zach, who was smiling at our little reunion. "Is your head okay?" I asked.

"My head is fine. I don't even think I passed out. I was just a little dazed for a while. You, on the other hand..."

"What?"