•VI

••

6|her shock

_______________________________

"Reyyan, come look!" Ayïa exclaimed, running to a man behind a ice cream stall. I ran behind to catch up with her little legs.

Once I was beside her, she glanced up to the ice cream machine and then to me.

"Sister, do you have enough money, i can pay for it myself if you don't" she asked me cutely.

I looked into my bag and bought my purse out. I took out a few notes and noticed it was Turkish money, I had enough notes to change them to Syrian pound.

"I don't have enough money" I told her, I didn't want her to know I had only just flied here.

The man behind the stall looked confused from our conversation in Turkish, he stood impatiently on the stall.

"yaghib?" He sighed impatiently. (Miss?")

"asf" I said, walking away with my hand in Ayïas. (Sorry)

Ayïa didn't say a word as we walked away from the stall, she instead walked sulkily at my pace.

--

We had reached the Aleppo village square. I glanced at the ruined buildings and debris swept to the corners, construction workers were at their busiest, putting the war in the past.

People were eagerly shopping at stalls and minding their own businesses. I watched as a group of young children ran past us, grabbing the attention of Aïya.

"You can go" I rolled my eyes, smiling as well. Ayïa thanked me and ran behind them.

I glanced at the few snake chanters sitting on chairs and instantly felt grabbed by the music.

I remembered my money and noticed the money changing shop, I walked inside and waited for my money to be changed.

I left it and instantly walked to the fruit carts, then I eyed the sweet carts as Ayïas little group came running past the square again. She waved at me and then ran with them again.

I spotted a few strawberry and rasberry crates and bought them. A few locals smiled at me and began moving their arms to the music as they laughed with one another.

I wouldn't be able to explore the streets if I was carrying the crates so I called for Ayïa repeatedly, then I saw her running towards me.

"Little sister, I need to drop these off at the house, we will come back" I explained as the crates were beginning to ache my hands.

"Okay sister" she replied, before following my lead back to the mansion.

We passed through many other children who were playing with footballs, a football landed towards me and I kicked it back, chuckling as the kids smiled innocently at me.

The whole village was alive, locals made me feel welcome. No matter of any war, I knew that these locals would keep their strength in them.