Sweet Goodbyes

Why thank you for 100 reads, in thanks you get this sadness 🔥💞

When George was thirteen he'd fallen out of the higher branches of a tree. He'd climbed it while trying to collect some eggs from a nest. He'd nearly got there when the branch he decided to support his weight on had snapped beneath him, leaving him winded and struggling for breath on the floor. He remembered being so confused as he was brought back to his senses, his body still ignorant to the pain he was feeling.

That was the only thing he could use to describe the way he felt right now, ringing in his ears as he chocked out a breath, lungs clawing for air that never came.

Leah.

No it couldn't be Leah. He'd promised her. Her name had been one in thousands. One.

She was twelve, she— she had a life ahead of her. She couldn't just die. Not like this. Not televised on a screen as people drunk champagne and cheered on her killer.

He'd promised her.

He'd promised her it wouldn't be her.

Somewhere far away, as if not from his own ears, he could hear the mumbling of the crowd, as they always do when a twelve year old is picked, but even then he doesn't snap out of it till he feels arms holding him up.

It's Sapnap, and he feels like he's falling.

And then he sees his sister. Leah. The blood has drained from her face and her body is frozen as two Peacekeepers hold her arms, dragging her towards the stage.

"Leah!" The shout rips through his throat and he was barely conscious of his actions as he pushed through the crowd.

"GEORGE!" She screamed back, struggling feebly in the arms of the men that held her, tears streaming down her face.

"I volunteer!" George gasped as he reached his sister, sweeping a protective arm around her just as they were about to mount the steps on the stage. "I volunteer as tribute!"

There is some commotion on the stage at George's out burst, light murmurs from the crowd. Normally the rules are that once the tribute is up on the stage they then will call for volunteers. Not that that's a word ever heard in the district. Volunteer. No one here is stupid enough to volunteer themselves up to their deaths.

"Oh, I..." Minx stumbled on her words, looking around for confirmation before shrugging. "Well, come on up then."

Leah is sobbing as George let's go of her hand, pressing a small kiss to her head before turning to walk up the steps, his  whole body numb is if he was working on autopilot. George could hear his sister still crying hysterically behind him as she tried to grip onto him. "No, George! No you can't go."

"Leah, let go." George could feel his voice shaking as he said it, gripping his sisters hand as he pulls her away from him. Once this is all done, and they are on the train to the Capitol the reaping will be replayed. Everyone will watch this. So he's determined not to cry, partly for Leah's sake and partly for his own. His fate is decided now, the last thing he wants is to look snivelling and weak as he is displayed to the cameras; an easy target.

Eventually it's Sapnap that pulls her away from him, wrapping his arms around her as he carries her back into the crowd.

George is numb. He's so numb he barely recognised the sound of his feet hitting the steps as he walks up the stage, the fact he's standing next to Minx or that she's asking him a question.

"So, what's your name."

George's mind barely process' the words as he stands next to the woman, his body stiff and unmoving.