Ch.3

(Ignore what she's wearing in the GIFs this is just what she looks like)

She walked out hearing a yell when a bunch of guys on horses came over.

The boys and John came up behind her protectively looking at the main guy Brady.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen." Brady greets.

"Good afternoon, John." "John, Mr. Dolan and Mr. Murphy here are complaining about their merchandise wagon being plundered... on several occasions on their way into town. Quite
frankly, John, they think you're behind it."

"That's a fargin' lie and you know it!" Joan argued she was one of those people that when you mess with someone she cared about she was immediately on the ice which got her in trouble for speaking up and saying the wrong things at the wrong times.

"Joan! Sheriff Brady... Mister Murphy is going to continue coming to you... and claiming I've taken his property until I'm pronounced a thief and shaken out of Lincoln. I've never touched his property. I have no cause." John stated with bringing as much peace as possible

"Well, the Belted Earl has spoken. Look behind you, Earl... all I see are hired thieves." Murphy commented.

"These boys and girls are promising young men and women acquiring an education." John argued back but in a polite way.

"Well, I had you pegged as the type that uh... that likes...educating young boys, Englishman. "some of the guys laughed at that and she wanted to wipe the smirk and laugh off their faces.

"Rumor has it that you want to be bidding against me for the government beef contracts. It is just a rumor, isn't it?" Murphy asks.

"Lawrence... You have a beef outfit and a store. And I have a beef outfit and a store. You're going try to make money and I'm going to try to make money. It's simple and it's fair." John said.

"You see our good Sheriff sitting up there on that horse? Do you know how much money he's got invested in my store? His life savings, John. And it's not just Brady who wants me to acquire those contracts. It's the Territorial District Attorney. The Chief Justice. The U.S. The Santa Fe Ring. It's a family ring, John. And you don't come prancing in here with your fat foreign capital...
and try to change things!" Murphy finally finished his long never-lasting boring speech.

"I made a very long steamship journey from London, Mister Murphy... So, I should be damned if I'm going to be dissuaded... by something as ugly as political corruption. So, I'd like you to take your threats and your sheriff... and get off my property!" John orders.

"You are ambitious, Earl. But you'd be better off selling ladies' undergarments in Hemstead." Murphy states making his men laugh besides Johns who put their guns up ready to fire.

Joan did the same as did Murphy men.

"Alright men, that's enough. Clear the way!" Brady orders.

"This is a new country. We won't be bowing down to you no more, Englishman. Get ready for hell!" Murphy calls out as they road away.

"Back to work, chaps." John said.

She was getting ready in a dress which was rare to see her in she hated dresses but would suffer through it if she really had too.

"Ready Joan- woah- um- you look" Chavez stuttered seeing her "Different? I know" she rolled her eyes smiling fixing her hair and then they both left "Ready to practice throwing our knives?" Chavez smiled "Yes" she said getting hers out she threw some at the bucket then he did next.

Suddenly gunshots were fired at the bucket making Chavez grab Joan and put her behind him as they all got their weapons out "Get down!" They looked seeing Billy making her shake her head smiling when he was just sitting on the roof laughing at their reactions.

Billy had one of those laughs where you would recognize anywhere if you couldn't find him and heard him laughing you would know it was his.

She loved his laugh. That was for sure "Regulators! Let's dance!" John yells.

"Look at that body go..." "He ain't all there, is he?" Steve asked watching Billy dance next to Joan making her laugh.

"Well, he's there enough to be dancing with a pretty gal... while we sit around here pulling our tallywackers." Charley said.

"I hardly even recognize Joan she looks nice in a dress" Steve complimented.

"I can second that" Charley agreed watching Billy spin Joan around multiple times while she laughed.

"I'll admit at first I didn't know if I liked you or not you were confusing slightly. But now I know my answer" she said and he stopped dancing looking at her.

"What's your answer?" He asked smiling "I do like you" she said laughing and he laughed with her "Good. You had me worried why is it you didn't trust me?" He asked. "I just don't trust very easily but you seemed to be able to get past that and form a bond with me" she smiled.