Chapter 3

Emery's POV

Kennedy and I could not have rushed out of that class any faster if hell had been chasing us.

I could not believe my luck. My face felt hot. There were a few ways that class could have gone terribly wrong and somehow we had succeeded at checking all the boxes.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh." Kenny fanned her flushed cheeks sounding like a broken record. "That was the worst word vomit I have ever had."

A laugh burst out of me. There wasn't much about any of this day that was funny but Kenny's reaction had sent me over the edge that I was teetering on.

She playfully swatted my shoulder. "This isn't funny. This was like change schools, have to move across state lines, bad. I called that man gay. And did you see his face. He looked like I had delivered him a fatal blow." 

I was crying in laughter now as I bent over, not able to contain myself. He did look like we had stolen his man card after that.

"I'm serious. I might have to move now."

"Oh, no you don't," I sobered. "You aren't leaving me here. That was a minor setback. You'll rebound. Besides, it can't get any worse. Take comfort in that."

"I totally messed up your introduction. I mean, he came over and everything to talk to you and I blew it. That could have been such a cute moment and my big mouth ruined it."

"You ruined nothing. We are research partners, not going on a date."

Kenny gave me a disbelieving look. "Don't you have eyes? He was gorgeous."

My lips thinned.

"Why don't you ever look at guys?" she continued, as we rushed through campus.

My feet quickened beneath me as I tried to outrun the last hour as if it hadn't happened and the current conversation that Kenny was going to insist we have.

"It's as if they don't exist to you. How long are you going to hold onto your past? It's no wonder you can't move on from it when you hug that mess close."

I turned to her fully, throwing my hands up in exasperation before putting them on my waist.

"What is this? Pick on Emery day?" I asked.

"I'm just trying to understand," she replied calmly.

"Well, try being understanding instead. You know why," I accused, and she did. Out of everyone in my life she knew every painful detail.

"Look, what happened with---" She shook her head. "That was before. You're different now. You're not the same girl and you won't make the same mistakes." She let out a deep breath. "I just want you to be happy. Out of everyone, you deserve it the most."

My grip on my temper slipped and the tension rolled out of my shoulders.

I bumped her shoulder with mine. "I am happy," I assured her.

She looked at me dubiously.

"What about you?" I questioned. "I don't see you going out either. In fact, aside from assisting patients, that conversation with Colton was the first time I have seen you talk to a guy in months."

She cringed. "First and possibly last time if that back there was any indication. It's as if I can't be trusted when opening my mouth."

My lips twitched.

"I might have to become a nun and swear off men after that," she declared.

"I mean, they probably are hiring this time of year."