Chapter 7

Emery's POV

To say today was a rough day, was putting it mildly. I overslept, spilled my coffee down the front of my scrubs, a child puked on me, and I was working past my shift on a weekend no less. But I wore a smile through it all. If my parents taught me anything, it was never bring your problems to work.

Your job was sacred and a place where your troubles couldn't exist. Especially in the type of career I chose. I needed my patients to feel comfortable coming to me and I couldn't do that if I wore my worries on my sleeves.

"It's time for Evelyn's MRI. I'm going to take her up soon for imaging," Kenny stated. "Dr. Pomolo is making his rounds and was asking about Peter's echocardiogram. Have you heard anything?"

I shook my head even though Kenny couldn't see. She hadn't once looked up from the clipboard she was flipping through.

"No, the cardiologist hasn't been by today. I'll message them and see how the results are coming along." I swiped right on the tablet we were staffed with. I noticed my eldest patient, Mrs. Julie Nichols, was due her insulin shot.

I'd need to tell Sasha, the head resident, to administer a refill before I left.

"I forgot to ask this morning, but can you water my daisies?"

I stopped my swiping of the tablet and my head jerked toward Kenny. "Of course," I promised. "But why? Are you not coming home after your shift?"

She sighed as she dropped the clipboard into the hook on the patient's door. "My dad is coming home from his work trip and we are all going to have dinner together."

My eyes squinted, pondering, as I read the tension in Kennedy's body. "Isn't that a good thing? He's been gone, what, like three months? I figured you and your mom would be excited." 

Kenny's father was some kind of big shot contractor or architect. I assumed business must be good because he was gone an awful lot this past year as he bounced from state to state.

"I am," she confessed, but it sounded strained. "My dad has been talking about taking us on this backpacking adventure, up the mountain when he comes home and my mom is dead set against it." Kennedy's lips twisted into a grimace.

I frowned. That was news to me. "Why didn't you say anything?" Clearly, it was bothering her. Usually Kenny and I told each other everything.

"I didn't think there was anything to tell. It seemed stupid to bring it up. I think I'm just frustrated. It's been so long since we have all gone on a family trip together. I miss that and I don't understand why my mother doesn't. "

I nodded. Kenny was a daddy's girl and I knew these long distance trips away for months at a time were taking a toll on her.

I squeezed her shoulder when I walked past. "I am sure your mom will come around. I know her and she would never pass up a chance to spend time with you and your dad. Maybe she just wants you all to spend some time at home together. "

Kennedy started fidgeting with her stethoscope. "You're probably right. Anyway, that is where I will be tonight if you need me. What are your plans for the evening?"

I smiled and I could feel it take up my whole face. "Asher is making me dinner."

Kennedy stifled a laugh as she beamed back at me. "That sounds like fun. I wonder what's on the menu?" she mocked.

I swatted her butt at the teasing. She had eaten enough of Asher's meals to know why she was grateful to have other plans. It was the thought that counted and I would need to remind myself of that repeatedly tonight.