Chapter 4

Colton's POV

There wasn't one part of my body that wasn't drenched with sweat. The only thing rising quicker than my body temperature in this heat was my raging temper.

Levi raced across the field with some fancy foot work. My eyes tracked the ball moving between his feet. I stalked him from my defensive position in center field.

I moved in, ready to intercept the ball for my team as his body gives every intention of moving right. I aligned mine with his and then, he feinted left.

My ankle got caught in my opposite leg as I turned to match Levi's positioning.

I tripped and hit the ground hard on my forearms as he raced past me with the ball.

I pounded my fist into the turf in frustration. It just had to be Levi to show me up. Especially after his words this morning that still stung. I was not delivering on the ass kicking I promised and it was royally pissing me off.

He set up his shot, ready to shoot. Ryan made a dive, blocking it with his torso.

My breath came harsher now from exertion and frustration. Dawson grabbed my arm to help me up. His brows swept down as he looked at me before Ryan's boisterous voice called out.

"You look like ass. Get it together, bruh," he hollered as he threw the ball out to us. "My ten-year-old nephew has better moves."

Dawson chuckled as he went and got back in position. My nostrils flared in annoyance.

Could he be more encouraging? I thought sarcastically. I looked around as the other players started heading my way. I shook my head to get a grip as I passed the ball between my feet.

There is nothing like having an audience when I'm playing like shit.

I swept right past Jansen who was playing in his first team scrimmage today. Levi crept up on my left; I did a full one-eighty turn around him, still protecting the ball between my feet. His curse rang in my ear as I left him in the dust.

The goal was in my sights. My leg pulled back and various images of Emery, her smart mouth, and dark brown hair popped in my mind as my foot connected with the ball.

I held my breath. It soared through the air across the field before it went higher with the momentum. I hung my head as it sailed right over the net, dropping behind the goalie in the out of bounds area.

A whistle blew, signaling the end of practice as I watched the ball continue to roll across the turf.

I felt Dawson's presence behind me as the field cleared and my teammates hit the locker room. My disappointment was evident in the way I hung my head down.

His voice broke through the silence. "Who is she?"

My head turned to him in confusion. "What?"

"The girl that has fucked you up this bad. Who is she?"

"I don't know what you are talking about," I grumbled.

My legs felt resistant beneath me as I made my walk of shame toward the locker rooms.

I could feel Dawson hot on my heels. "I know you and only a woman could distract you like this."

Ugh. He did know me. And it was irritating. I pinched the bridge of my nose. Dawson and I had practically grown up together in our small ass town. We went way back.

Ryan was my buddy and roommate but Dawson knew everything about me. Things I didn't want others to know.

"It's nothing. I mean no one," I said. Dawson smiled and I shook my head getting agitated again. The air conditioning from inside the locker room did nothing to cool my flamed face as I entered. "Just drop it."