Chapter 8

Colton's POV

The heat from the rising sun beat down my back. My eyes squinted through the horizon as I glanced around the parking lot.

Emery wasn't here yet. I hadn't even bothered to put the research papers in my bag. I held them in my grasp, anxious to hand them over. And to see her.

It was a surprise to run into her over the weekend at the hospital. A welcome one.

I got up at the crack of dawn to ensure I was punctual. I promised I would be here, waiting, before she stepped a foot out of her vehicle.

I'll be damned if I broke that promise.

I looked at my watch again to see the time. Classes would start soon which meant Emery should be here any second. Other students were already bustling their way across campus.

Blonde hair that flashed golden in the sunlight appeared on the edge of the parking lot. 

Was that... Kennedy? I blinked. That was Kennedy.

I craned my neck to look around her as she hustled to the sidewalk. She was alone.

My feet moved quickly beneath me to catch up to her. "Hey, Kennedy, wait up."

She turned to me at the sound of her name being called as I jogged over to her.

Her eyes widened in recognition. "Colton?" She looked around as if expecting someone else. "Umm, hey, what are you doing here?"

She glanced out at the parking lot , noticing that I was the only one standing there, waiting.

My lips pursed as I realized how this looked. Me, alone here in the parking lot, watching like a stalker.

Hell, that comment I had jokingly made to Emery over the weekend was hitting a little too close to home. That had not been my intention... at all.

I wanted to reassure Kennedy that it wasn't like that. I was here for Emery... in a non-stalkerish way.

I scrubbed my hand across my forehead aggressively. "I was expecting to meet Emery here, this morning. I have my half of the assignment for her. " I waved the papers in my hand.

Kennedy's eyes lit up in understanding. She smacked her hand off her head. "Of course," she nodded. "But she's not coming in today. She's---"

I stepped closer, riveted now on her every word. "She's what?"

Kennedy took a deep breath. Her blue eyes softened when they looked up at mine. "Emery is taking a sick day."

I could feel my pulse quicken. "She's sick!"

Kennedy's lips parted to answer before she paused in hesitation. My eyes narrowed in confusion.

I felt like we were playing a game of charades as I tried, and failed, to guess correctly.

"Not exactly," she admits.

My eyes scanned over the many cars parked in the lot until they settled on my truck in the far corner.

I tapped the papers off my thigh. "Okay," I replied thoughtfully. "Can you take these then and give them to her when you get home?" I thrust the notes between us for her to grab.

Kennedy looked at them before returning to my gaze.  She shook her head. "I can't, I'm meeting my dad after work. And besides, Emery isn't at the house today."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. It was a nervous habit that I did often when I felt helpless.

"I promised her again and again that I would give her the papers today. It may not mean much to you or even to her, but it does mean something important to me."