𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

___

I felt sick to my stomach all day, everything felt so unfinished. Me and Dally had made up but, I felt horrible about Randy and Bob getting the shit kicked out of them.

I decided I would set out and apologize. After all, this was my fault. I should have never been at Buck's in the first place.

I stood up wobbly, my hangover still very fresh in my aching head.

I removed my now stained dress and slipped into jeans and a simple blouse.

My whole body ached, my throat still had that burning sensation.

I walked around the rainy streets, I had wished I wore a sweater.

Walking to the South side was much different than my side of the tracks.

No one was really outside because of the rainy weather. But the posh cars and white pillared houses seemed to gleam throughout.

I started to ponder on how easy life would be if I had a stable family. A father that would come home after a long day at work, a mother serving me and my brother plates of food and giving sweet kisses on our foreheads.

Maybe Dallas would even go to school, christ- he might even be a jock.

The thought of that gave me a warm glow inside, not for long of course. I think it dimmed even quicker when I realized that would never be the case.

I would always be the girl on the wrong side of the tracks, with a JD of a brother.

But for a moment, just one second, that feeling also comforted me. Did I really want to go to a country club every summer? Did I really want to live the American dream?

Those questions I still couldn't answer, but I think as long as I have Ponyboy, I'll be happy with anything.

I soon realized I was standing in front of Randy's door, mid knock.

But something happened, something washed over me that I had never really thought of before.

I found myself always thinking of Ponyboy, my world revolved around him. Even if I hadn't known him for a lifetime, even if only a month ago, we had landed our eyes on each other.

Even if it was too soon,

I loved Ponyboy.

"Hey Katherine...?"

My eyes focused on Randy's black and blue face, his lip had been cut open and the entire right side of his face was bruised beyond belief.

"Oh my gosh, Randy..."

"S'okay, your brother throws a good punch" He chuckled.

I scrunched my nose teasingly, "I want to apologize for that, I know he would never even dream of saying sorry, especially to you so"

"Really it's all good Katherine, i'm just glad your okay"

I smiled warmly, Randy truly was a good boy.

"Tell Bob the same thing I told you, I guessed he would live over here"

"I just find it amusing that you knew where I lived" He crossed his arms pridefully.

"Well it does say Adderson on your garage" I teased.

Randy went red in the face and scratched the back of his neck, "Right..."

"See you Randy, I gotta go and-"

"See Ponyboy?"

I was taken aback, I bit my lip and nodded slightly.

"Figured, you two are good for each other. He looks at you differently"

"Differently?"

"Yeah you know, like he's in love or somethin"

I couldn't stop smiling, really I couldn't.

"See you around Randy"

"See you"

___

I rushed to the Curtis's house completely drenched. My blouse stuck to my frame as if it was painted on.

I knew if I didn't get there this instant I would overthink everything.

But I needed to tell him this, I loved Ponyboy. I loved him so much it felt unreal.

My hand tapped the glass from outside his room, I didn't even know if he was in there. The window became stained with rain drops.

"Hey!" Pony pulled me through, I swear my heart skipped a beat.

"Hey stranger" I coughed, my nose running from the cold.

Pony wrapped a blanket around me and rubbed my shoulders, planting a kiss on my forehead.

We both sat down on his creaky bed, I ran my fingers through my knotted hair.

"How'd everything go with Dal?" Pony asked, going through his drawers.

"I think it's okay now, at least I hope" I sniffled

Pony sat next to me once more, pulling an oversized sweater on me. It was too big for him so I guessed it might have been Sodas', maybe even Darry's before hand.

I quietly thanked him as we sat in silence, his arms wrapped around me comfortingly.

"I'm sorry about how I acted last night, that wasn't me. I was drunk and upset and-" I started to feel the tears brimming, I didn't want to cry in front of Ponyboy.

"Don't even worry about that Katherine, i'm just glad you're okay now"

We were now laying down, Pony resting on his back as my head laid on his chest.

His breathing was calm and steady, mine a thumping mess.

I needed to tell him, it was killing me at this point.

"Pony"

"Kat"

"I need to tell you something" I swallowed.

"Shoot" He chuckled, playing with my damp hair.

"This might sound crazy, actually it kinda is crazy but,"

"HEY KIDS" Two bit sounded, the door wide open with Soda, Steve, and Johnny all behind one another.

"Oh boy" Ponyboy grumbled, sitting up, his arm still perfectly snaked around my waist.