A Broken Road- 18

Awkward.

That’s probably the only word that I could use to describe the feelings I had this morning as I stood in the kitchen across the island from Alex. I’d woken up alone in his bed wearing only his t-shirt and a pair of short shorts that were hidden by the shirt, and then when I felt my tummy grumble, I went downstairs into the kitchen. Just to find Alex sitting at the island eating a bowl of cereal.

I didn’t know what to say, so I remained silent and it seemed like Alex was having the same problem trying to find any words to speak to break the awkward silence that had quickly and mercilessly consumed us.

I grabbed a Capri Sun from the fridge and sat down at the island, knowing that I shouldn’t just leave that room. We were friends, and despite what had happened last night, I didn’t want to lose him. He meant a lot to me, as just a friend or not, and he’s the only person that I can really talk to.

But even as I sucked the juice through my straw, I couldn’t find any words that would be appropriate to say and the only sound that was heard through the room was the crunch of his cereal and my awkward shuffling around in my chair.

Just the sight of Alex, shirtless with disheveled hair, reminded me of what had happened last night. We’d gone for round one on the beach, on that towel, and then he carried me into the house and then into his room for rounds two and three. It was intense and I was still aching a little bit between my legs. But I can’t say I regretted it… at all.

Finally, the awkward silence was about to drive me insane, so I searched my brain for any courage to be the first one to speak. “Morning.” I finally croaked quietly.

It took a while for him to process something to say, but his response finally came. “Morning.”

I racked my brain for something else to say. Something genius that would blow him away and it would sweep away this awkward silence that was only growing. Something so smart that it would shoot down all the complications we had added to our relationship last night.

“You’re lips are soft.” I blurted. Yeah, Pai. Incredibly and overwhelmingly genius. Be careful now, he might mistake you as a reincarnation of Einstein. “I enjoy them.” Way to go.

I didn’t look up from my half empty drink to see if he smirked or smiled in the least, but he probably did. “Thanks.” He replied quietly. Since when was this kid so damn awkward? “Yours too.”

“Thanks.” I repeated just as awkwardly. And then, somehow in my brain, something decided to work and words just started flowing out of me like magic. “And just so you know, I didn’t do that last night to seduce you. I really wanted to go skinny dipping, it’s on my bucket list. I just didn’t account for the fact that we’d be like, alone and your abs and your kissing abilities. I didn’t really think that plan through at all.”

“I didn’t think you were trying to seduce me.” He said softly and I think I heard a bit of amusement in his voice.

“Well, good.” I sighed, taking another drink of my juice. “We’re just friends, right?” I blurted randomly. “Because after what happened with Ricky, there’s no way I could take on another relationship.”

“Right.” Alex agreed quickly. “Yeah, I just, uh, I just got out of one, so yeah. Just friends.”

“Okay then.” I sighed, happy that we got over the awkward part of this after-sex conversation. “And who knows? Maybe friends with benefits or something.”

I jumped a little when the next thing that I heard was Alex choking on his cereal and pounding frantically at his chest. When he finally got his breathing in check, he looked up at me. “I’m sorry, what did you just say? I didn’t hear you right.”