A Broken Road- 2

"Let me out of here!" I yelled at the empty room I was locked in. Well, technically, I wasn't locked in, but there was a needle stuck in my arm and I don't like needles. So there was no way that I was pulling that thing out. I was stuck. It didn't take a genius to figure out that I was in a hospital, since my hair was a ratted mess and I was dressed in one of those depressing hospital gowns.

I must have had a lot more to drink than I thought if I landed myself in the hospital. I groaned to myself, my mom is going to be so pissed. Did they pump my stomach? This is going to be all around school tomorrow, I'll be such a joke.

"Hello?" I called again. I just wanted to get out of here, to face my mom and get it over with. I flinched when I saw her face of disappointment in my head. She rarely uses that face, but I'm sure this incident will do the trick. But maybe she'll understand, since what happened with Ricky. Another flinch. I can't believe he cheated on me. I really thought he loved me because I really loved him and it hurt to know that he didn't loved me as much. It was also embarrassing. Very, incredibly embarrassing.

Finally, the door swung open and a doctor came into the room, followed by a man in a suit. My stomach lurched. Oh, man. A cop. He's going to arrest me for under aged drinking and then my mom's really going to kill me. I'm dead. My future, my career, my reputation, everything. Gone. Just gone. I had no idea how severe under aged drinking was, and I was hoping that maybe I was being too dramatic. Maybe I'd just get a warning, or community service.

"Good afternoon, Miss Valetta." The doctor greeted me with a tired frown. "How are you feeling today?"

"Fine," I mumbled, feeling so embarrassed that I'd found myself in this situation.

"Well you took a pretty hard hit to the head, but other than that, you were pretty lucky," The doctor said.

I scrunched my face up in confusion. "My head?" Did I fall down the stairs or something?

The doctor gave me a worried look. "Yes, ma'am. In the crash, do you remember?"

My eyes widened. "I drove?! Oh my gosh, my mom is going to kill me! I'm dead." I started to panic even more. How could I get that drunk? So drunk to be stupid enough to drive!

"No, that's not what happened. What's the last thing that you remember of last night?" He asked.

I focused and really tried to remember the events of last night, ignoring the headache that was starting to fill my head. "Um, I remember finding Ricky and then I went into the bathroom. I... I drank. But it was a party, everyone was drinking!" I defended quickly.

The doctor put a hand on my shoulder. "I know, you're not in trouble."

I just nodded and swallowed the lump in my throat, feeling a lot of relief wash over me when he tells me that I'm not in trouble. "And then I called my mom and asked her to come pick me up. That's all I remember." I said quietly.

"Paisley, last night, you were in the car with your mother but the storm caused your mom to lose control. You went down a hill and the car crashed into a tree." He said softly.

I gasped, taking in the new information. "Oh." I mumbled dubmly. "Is she mad at me? When can I see her?"

"Paisley." The doctor repeated with a large frown on his face. "The car was hit on the driver side. She didn't make it. I'm very sorry."

"W-what?" I whimpered, my whole body filling with fright, fear, loneliness, and a dreamlike state. Like this wasn't real, it couldn't be. Just yesterday, she was giving me inspirational speeches and painting her newest painting. She'll be home when I get there. She may be a little upset, but she'll be there. Alive and at home.