A Broken Road- 19

“I don’t want to get school stuff.” I groaned.

“I know, me neither.” Alex agreed as we marched gloomily through the mall.

“Let’s just call off our senior year.” I chirped. “And hang all day instead.”

He smiled and wrapped an arm around my shoulders lightly. “As tempting as that seems, we need to graduate to get out of this town. Hate to break it to you.”

“You’re right.” I mumbled as we walked into a Staples- what kind of mall has a Staples? This mall was huge and had any store known to man. It wasn’t in the small town that we live in, it was about twenty minutes away in the next, town over, which was huge with a nice city area and this huge mall.

We went through all the important questions of school supplies. Wood or mechanical pencils? Cute folders or solid color? Should my binders have filers in them? How many notebooks will I need? In what color?

It took us only about fifteen minutes since we didn’t really care about any of the stuff and just got what we needed before heading for the check out. I got a black messenger bag, too.

“So, what’s next? Clothes or piercings?” Alex asked once we both were carrying our bags down the halls of the busy mall.

“Food, I’m starving.” I told him. “And then clothes, that way I can get my tattoo last and the tattoo place has piercings I’m sure so you can pick out the piercing while I get my tattoo, since you’re too chicken to get one.”

Alex grinned at me. “Needles aren’t my thing.”

“Baby.” I laughed on our way to the food court.

We had Subway and sat at one of the little tables and then I talked myself into splurging on an expensive gourmet cupcake from this gourmet cupcake store that made really cool-looking cupcakes. I settled on a lemon cupcake with lemon filling and lemon icing.

“Why’d you get that again?” Alex asked as I started deciding how to eat it.

“It’s huge!” I exclaimed. “Look at it! And it’s all lemony.”

“Calm down.” He laughed.

I smiled at him. “This is really exciting for me.”

“I can tell.”

I scarfed down the large cupcake mercilessly and found it to be what heaven would taste like. So much lemon.

“Are you finished?” Alex asked when I stopped licking the crumbs out of the wrapper.

I gave it one more lick before nodded and tossing the thin wrapper into a nearby trash can. “Yep. Now, it’s time for clothes.”

He let out a soft groan. “Do we have to?”

“I don’t have anything to wear, Alex.” I chuckled as we stood up and threw away our Subway wrappers. “Just twenty minutes, that’s it.”

He sighed as we walked towards the clothing store. “Okay, fine. Twenty minutes.”

I quickly grabbed a few pairs of ripped up denim shorts, some a plain blue and some were black, along with some simple t-shirts. “I only have to try on one pair of shorts on, just to make sure my size is right and that’s it.” I told Alex.

“Try this on.” Alex said with a smirk as he held up a bra-like thing with spikes covering the cups.

“That’s cute.” I chirped, taking it out of his hands and taking it into the dressing room with me.

“I was kidding.” He laughed through the door. “I didn’t actually think you’d try it on.”

“Well, you thought wrong.” I said, slipping into it, along with an open denim vest and washed black skinny jeans.