Rusted Blade

Chapter 9

As the promised 3 months came to an end, the survivors were shepherded into another part of the floating ship. A part where none of us has seen before.

The same elderly woman came before us as she beckoned us closer.

"Congratulations on surviving. You will now begin the second and final portion of the Princess of Jahad selection" She gestured to the black door behind her. "All of you will enter through this door. Once this door closes behind you...it will not open until the princess is chosen."

She counted us as I did the same. 33 survivors...that meant 67 of us died in just 3 months.

"The rules are quite simple. You are not allowed to attack each other during meal times and designated sleeping periods. You are not allowed to eat or use other candidates' food, rooms, or their facilities as they are, obviously, served based on your rank. Finally, you must not attack or harm the servants or workers."

A girl, no memory of mine recognized her, asked the woman.

"What happens if we break the rules?"

"The offender will immediately lose your right to become a princess and be disqualified. Any offenders will be taken and placed into the single quarantine areas where they will wait out the selection alone."

The answer was something most members were hoping for. An answer of mercy and hope of survival. Looking across the faces of much of the competitors, especially the lower ranked, it seemed as if they planned on attacking the workers the moment they entered the second part of the exam.

"And what other rules are there?"

"There are none. You may try and break out but the walls were created by the Workshop so it will be impossible for you."

"How is the princess chosen?"

"All of you must agree upon a single princess. Any and all methods are acceptable."

False hope.

False hope as in some might hope to talk out the others and vote on a single candidate. False hope as in that there would be no betrayals, that everyone wanted peace...that all of us came to this hell in hopes of becoming the princess and all of us would be kind enough to lay down our swords and accept words? In the Tower? How ridiculous.

"You may enter. May your swords cut clean"

Feeling the comforting weight of the blade on my back, I walked in first through the dark door and hallway. I could see the bright light at the end of the hall but in truth I preferred that it would stay this dark. At least in the darkness I wouldn't see the blood I would spill.

... ...

3rd person pov

Discrimination. Bias. Inequality.

Those three words were what came to mind when looking at the table that she was feasting on. Or rather where everybody dined at.

As the highest ranked among the candidates, she had everything at her disposal. A waiter took her order and attendants attended to her needs. The food served was nothing less of magnificent, especially the carbonara. Steel Eel Carbonara, Moray Eel Carbonara, Pork fat carbonara, original carbonara. It truly must be heaven sent chef working behind the scenes to create masterpiece after masterpiece.

Mother forbid me from drinking wine but it seemed nobody cared here. Wonderful drinks of all kinds were served, even those she's never seen before. What was this Coca Cola and why has she never tasted it before until now? Sparkling Wine was a novelty...she would buy it all if she could.