Combination Play

NU 20-22 DLSU

Dawn dashes for the blue and yellow ball and receives it perfectly. She passes it on to her senior, Kim, who stood in front waiting for the ball to reach her. As soon her fingertips touched the soft ball, she maneuvers it to her team captain Ara. As Ara prepares herself to jump, instead she bends down and lets her partner in crime, Mika, kill the ball resulting to a combination play and another point closer to the ticket for the finals.

Seconds after hitting the ball, Mika loses her balance and wobbles down to the floor as soon as she hit the ground.

Kiefer’s POV

I fist pumped the air and gave my teammates a high five as we watched from the sidelines my superstar earning another point for her team. But soon after I returned my gaze back to the court I was startled by the sudden pause of the game. Coach Ramil and some of the medics ran to the court and was kneeling. From where I stood, I could barely see who they were giving attention to.

Until I looked up at the big led screen.

I could feel my friends’ hands on my back. All I could do was cover my mouth since I was still in a state of shock

Mika’s POV

I couldn’t understand the feeling. The pain is excruciating but I also felt quite numb. It felt like needles forcing itself to penetrate my knees and it scared me how my nerves did not properly function for I could no longer feel the bottom half of my leg. I grabbed hold of my knee in hopes of massaging the pain away but also touched my calf just to make sure it was still attached.

Kiefer’s POV

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH” she screamed the highest note she possibly could. My heart’s beat became rapid and all the hairs on my body were raised.

“bro! bro!” I heard my teammates call out as they try to run after me. I suddenly had that adrenaline to run…run to her.

“excuse me, excuse me” I told the people who blocked my way from getting to her. A guard tried to stop me but I was clever enough to avoid him and not look him in the eye. I forced myself to come near her and eventually was kneeling down right next to her. Her entire body was still faced down except her face that faced sidewards.

Mika’s POV

“baby. Baby. Tell me what’s wrong? I’m here baby” a familiar voice said. I opened my eyes and did my best to try and raise my face just to see if my assumption is right.

“babe, what do you feel? What hurts?” he asked as he grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers.

“my…my…knee” I answered in between my sobs and holding on to him tighter

Kiefer’s POV

“AAAAAAAAAAAAH” she winced as another wave of pain consumed her.

“h-h-elp m-m-e. help me. please” she cried out it was taking me a whole lot of courage to stop myself from breaking down.

I carefully wrapped her body on my arms and helped the paramedics strap her to the stretcher. As they lifter her up, she raised her hand and tried reaching for my arm. I fastened my pace so I could hold her hand

“Kiefer…make it stop. Ang sakit….” She said this repeatedly. All I could do was tighten my grip and continue to give her words of encouragement.