Bumps along the way

Kiefer’s POV

The ‘buckle-your-seatbelt’ sign has just been switched off. I removed the small contraption which rests upon my waist and brought myself to my feet. With my right hand, I swiftly grabbed my carry-on luggage from the overhead compartment. I took my phone out from my pocket and pressed the home button.

No texts

That’s weird. She should be contacting right now. Well, she should have tried contacting me hours ago while I had that layover in Japan. My flight got delayed. For some reason, she’s not worried at all. At least that’s what I think since she has not called or even texted. I began scrolling my contacts and clicked her name. I hit the dial button.

No answer

Now i’m a little worried. Maybe it’s just the signal. NAIA Terminal 1 is labelled as one of the worst airports in the world after all, so I shouldn’t be surprised of how utterly terrible the signal is. After about 10 minutes, I feel my phone vibrate from my front pocket. I excitedly answered the phone without even bothering to look at the caller I.D

“Babe!”

“Babe?”

“uhhh who’s this?”

“Kiefer, it’s your Pops..”

“ay joke! Hi Pa. I just landed and i’m on my way to claim my check in luggage...”

“Alright I’ll wait for you sa baba. Doon sa may letter R na sign”

“sige sige...Pa, kasama mo ba si Mi...”

He ended the call before I could even finish my sentence.

After getting my 2 checked in luggages, I proceeded to the exit and made my way toward the sign that had the letter ‘R’

Not before long I see 2 figures walk towards me. The first one would be my dad and next to him is girl much shorter.

“welcome back” Dad tells me and gives me a fatherly hug

“welcome back manong!” says Dani and gives me a tight hug as well

“O si Mika? Asaan? Nasa car ba?” I asked while they release from their embrace

“baka pagod ka na Kief, halika na alis na tayo. Akin na bagahe mo” Dad grabbed both of my luggage but instead I insisted on holding the other one.

As we reached the car, I was disappointed to see no one sitting there and waiting for me. After placing my things on the backseat, I entered the car and sadly buckled my seatbelt once again.

We were all silent. My sister Dani opted to break the awkward filled atmosphere

“Kuya kamusta naman yung flight?”

“okay lang naman...” I replied before letting out a sigh

“Pa, asan si Mika? Diba dapat siya yung magsusundo sa akin?” I raised the question again

He didn’t reply. I looked back at my sister and I could tell she’s avoiding eye contact. This made my heart beat raise and I could not help but fiddle in my seat.

“Pa, what happened to Mika?” I asked while stuttering. Something’s wrong. I can feel it in my gut something went wrong.

“We had to rush Mika in the ER kanina...” My Dad said casually

“WHAT?! WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?! IS SHE SICK?!”

“I think it’s best if you hear it from her at hindi sa akin...”