Chapter 1

3rd person p.o.v

Deena Johnson was an average girl in Shadyside. Like most things in Shadyside her life- for the most part- sucked. Her dad was a workaholic as well as an alcoholic. She wished he had been addicted to being there for her and her little brother Josh.

Deena worked part time at their local gas station. She worked most days of the week and when she wasn't, she was practicing with the school band. She was a percussionist, she enjoyed playing the drums-it gave her a sense of reality and calmness from the world around her.

She thought of leaving Shadyside behind one day, she only had one more year and she would be ready to start her adult life..but the thought of leaving all the work and cleaning to josh made her feel bad. He wasn't far in age behind her but still.. she didn't want him to be left all alone to deal with her dads mess.

Their mom left a few years back, she couldn't handle the life their dad had made for himself. Stuck in Shadyside, working a 9-5 everyday with no excitement. Sometimes she couldn't blame her even when she wanted too. Life just seemed so much suckier for Shadyside. Crime rates were higher, missing children, accidents- pretty much you name it, Shadyside has it.

Deena had lived her whole life, trying to figure it all out. At this point she just came to the conclusion that shit was just doomed for all of Shadyside. Sunnyvale on the other hand was constantly prospering. Championships, more jobs, wealthy businesses and housing going up constantly- I mean shit what do they have that we don't?

Deena was quickly interrupted by her thoughts when the bell above the gas station door went off. After a couple minutes a dirty blonde girl was at the register with a handful of snacks.

"You must be hungry", Deena said to the smiling girl.

"Well yes but believe it or not it's for me and my family", the girl replied emphasizing the and part.

"Well this should do it, that's gonna be $17.26 please." Deena took the money from the girl and quickly counted her change before giving her the receipt. "Have a nice night", Deena let out.

The girl let out a quick "thanks you too" before bolting out the store doors. She was pretty Deena thought to herself.

Not even a full minute later the same girl comes back in and starts talking.

"Okay so I forgot to get myself a drink and I need your personal preference you just look like you have good taste."

You have no idea, Deena thought to herself.

"We'll I personally love a sprite", Deena stated with a smirk.

"We'll I guess I'll be getting a sprite then", the girl said smiling back at Deena.

"I'm Sam by the way I just moved her from Westend, so expect to see more of me in this gas station I live right down the street", the girl said.

"I'm Deena, I've always lived here and work here almost everyday so expect to see me more if you come to this gas station"

Sam giggled then said, "Well I'll be seeing you Deena".

Sam walked out the door and Deena let out a breathe she didn't know she was holding. Her head quickly filled with images of this girl "Sam". She seemed like all the right things to Deena, smart, funny, hot as hell. She didn't know if she would ever really get the chance to talk to the girl again, but she knows she would dream about the opportunity.
___________________________

Damn she was beautiful, Sam thought to herself when she finally buckled herself back into her moms dark green 1993 Ford Explorer.

"Okay you guys let's go get settled into the new place your dads waiting.", Sams mom said starting up the car.

The family of four consisted of Sam, her little sister Kimberly, her mother Linda, and her father Trent. Her parents had both gotten new jobs, her moms in Sunnyvale and her fathers in Shadyside. Her dad pleaded with her that they live in his town of work since he worked longer hours and knew how snobby Sunnyvalers could be. He didn't want that for his children, he wanted hard honest working kids. Their mom on the other hand wanted her girls to have the newest things in life. Pretty much show stuff off.

Sams new house was a three bedroom two story house, it had a white wooded porch with a similar patterned porch swing. Her house was a brown brick house that was much larger on the inside than it appeared to be on the outside.

Sam walked up the stairs to her new room. The gray walls seemed way to empty for her taste so she took the next hour decorating them with  some of her favorite bands and singers posters such as: Nirvana, Radiohead, and Green Day.

When she finished it was already 9:13pm she had school tomorrow and she was very nervous. She was joining another school toward the beginning of the first semester of junior year, she feared it would be awkward considering all these kids have always knew each other. It was September the 20th 1994. The kids that were new had already been at school for at least a month.

Sam hopped in the shower and did her nightly routine. She then made her way to her closet ready to pick out her outfit for tomorrow. She picked out her light pink Chuck Taylors with some light mom jeans and a all purple t shirt she planned to tuck into her jeans.

As she laid down for the night her mind wandered back to the gas station girl. She was beautiful and had a smile to die for. She'd hope she would run into her again, but even if she did Sam worried she wouldn't know what to say when faced with so much beauty. She had never liked a girl so much before, she had mentioned liking girls once to her mom and she flipped out. Like grounded Sam for just the thought of it flipped out. Her dad on the other hand just told her it was her life and he wanted her to be happy.

Sams mind quickly went from clouded thoughts to sheep's and with that she fell asleep for the night.

_____________________________

That's it for chapter one I hope you enjoyed, I'll be updating at least every other day hopefully, I do have a layout for the story already so it shouldn't take forever! Thanks!