Chapter 2

"... I know we said it would take a while before someone is placed with you, but as I said, it's an emergency" and when she heard that, she froze. Jesy was literally speechless. Didn't know how to react or what to say. Of all the possibilities she thought this wasn't on the list "Jesy? Are you there?"

"Yes, yes I'm here, sorry" She answered snapping out of her thoughts

"Good, as I said, I know it's soon, but I wouldn't be calling you if it wasn't necessary" she said with a little sigh at the end "look, she really needs somewhere to stay and someone who will take care of her. I can't send her to a group home after what happened today, it wouldn't be right. I'm really trying to find her somewhere safe to stay until we find her a family"

"Sorry, what happened?, is she okay?" Jesy said worried for the girl, she just had this weird feeling that something wasn't right, and the way she was talking sounded like something really bad happened

"She is all right, I can't really tell you much about it. You know, it's just how the system works, I can't really tell you anything about her file, unless you are her foster parent" The line stayed silent while Jesy nodded as if Kristen could actually see her "so?"

And that was it, of all the things she was feeling right now, the one that described her the best was scared. She was petrified to be honest. It's not that she doesn't like kids or anything like that, she entered foster care for a reason, it's just that she didn't think it was gonna be this fast. Taking care of a child it's a huge responsibility. Jesy is the one to say that she's just not good for a lot of the "parent" stuff... most of the "parent" stuff. But at the same time, she really had this need to help people not only people but kids, the ones that sometimes the system forgets about. That girl, she just needed someone who would take good care of her, and would make her feel loved and safe. She knew she could do that.

"I'll do it"

"You will?" The social worker asked at the other side of the line. She sounded a little shocked, but to be fair, Jesy was a little shocked herself "are you sure? I know it's soon, and unexpected. I would totally understand if you can't or if you feel like you are not ready"

"I'm sure, I can do this" She said more to herself than to the other female on the line

"That's amazing news, I will add that to the system so everything is clear, and the next time I see you I can give you her file" She said almost relieved "she is probably gonna stay another few days in the hospital so that gives you a little time to, you know, do everything you need to do. Fix a room, talk to whoever you need to talk, just organise. Also I'm going to start talking about you, just so she doesn't feel you like a complete stranger"

"Hospital?" then is when she remembered that weird feeling from before, what happened? "is she all right?"

"I will explain it to you in person, it's a long, messed up, story" she said with a sigh "the important thing is that they are taking care of her, but above all that she is safe and that's all that matters. I know is a lot to take in, and you probably need some time to process all of this, I'm sorry but I need to ask, are you sure?"

"I am, I'm not gonna lie, I was a little hesitant at first, and a little scared, I still am to be honest. But I just can't say no to this, she just needs someone to protect her and love her, I can do that. So yes, I'm sure, in what hospital is she in? when should I go see her?"

"Perfect, she is at Broomfield Hospital, and wait a minute" she made a pause "she should be good to go in about three days if everything goes as expected, yeah three days. Anyway, if anything changes during that time I will call you, but most likely everything will come out how is planned. So I will see you in three days?"

"I will see you then" She said smiling a bit, thinking about all the things that needed to be done before she came

"Until then" Kristen said ending the call

Jesy got up and started walking around the room, not doing anything specific, just walking. Okey what have I just done? I'm going to take care of a child, a little girl who counts on me, I mean not yet but you know what I mean. Now I'm panicking, how am I supposed to do that... I need to calm down, she is not even here and I'm already stressing. All right, breath, everything is going to be just fine, you have the girls, Leigh is gonna freak out when I tell her, I can already see her dressing her up like a little doll. There's also your friends, your family, you won't have to do this alone. Your family... MY MOM, I have to talk to her, but you need to calm down first, we don't want to worry her, so breath

"..." one tone, two tones, three tones, come on mom pick up "Hi! Sorry for the wait, I was doing some things and couldn't find my phone, how's everything going? How is your day going?" Janice, Jesy's mom said a little out of breath

"Hello mom, it's okey, everything it's fine" Jesy answered holding her breath a little, why am I so nervous, it's my mom, it's not like she's going to be mad or something "Good, I spoke to Perrie for a little bit, she's probably gonna text me later, I did some things at home, you know the usual, and.. um I.. I did something"

"Something?... Jesy, are you all right?, I can feel the nervousness in you voice, you can tell me, you know as long as you haven't killed anybody, I support you" she said joking a little "wait... have you?" now sounding more worried

"What? No, of course not, mom relax, no, I haven't killed anybody, but I did something and it's a pretty big deal" Jesy could hear her mom release a sigh and the line is silent again so she continues "Remember how I told you that I really wanted to enter foster care, how there's a lot of not only kids but young people who needs a family, who needs someone to show them that not everyone is bad, remember that?"

"Yeah, I do remember, I remember you doing the paper work, you were a little stressed with that, but yeah of course I remember. Did anything went wrong with that? Do you need me to help you with something?Did you change your mind? Sorry but I don't know where this is going"

"No, no, I would say the opposite happened, I got a call today, from foster care. They called me about an emergency placement, they really needed someone to take care of this kid... and I said yes" and with that the line fell silent for a couple minutes

"That's... great news! OMG I'm gonna be a granny, well not exactly but almost, is she arriving today? No, she can't arrive today, we have to prepare her a room. I need to go visit, so I can help you with the room, wait, I need to buy her a present, how old is she? Is she too old for a teddy bear? Or maybe a doll, I saw one the other day that ...." Janice said really fast, so fast you could barely understand what she was saying

"Mom, wait, breath, god, she's not even here and you are already spoiling her" Jesy said laughing a little "she's not too old for a teddy, she's three, and no, I have to pick her up in three days, she is released from the hospital in three days, so that's the time I have to prepare her room and do all I can to make this place, a safe place for her"

"Hospital?" She asked, the exited tone was now replaced by a worried one

"Yes, hospital, I don't know what happened yet, but it didn't sound like a simple injury kids usually get, I just really hope it wasn't something that serious" The brunette said, even though she really wanted to believe nothing serious happened, something was telling her otherwise. Her mom didn't respond, but Jesy could imagine her nodding her head through the phone

"I'm so happy" going back to that excited tone "I can't believe is actually happening, and how fast it was"

"I know right? I can't believe it either, I was a little hesitant at first, and a little nervous to tell you to be honest, but now that is gone, I can't wait to tell the girls, they are going to freak out"

"You haven't told them yet? what are you doing talking to me then, go call them"

"Okey, I will, love you mom, I will call you tomorrow"

———————————————————————————
Hi! Hope you enjoyed, it took me forever to write this. Hope you can understand the grammar problems 😅