Chapter 20

"...mmm hello?" a voice answered through the phone as she tried to hold in a yawn "Who is this?" she asked still not really aware of what was happening  

"Hi Jesy, it's Kristen" the woman answered making the brunette wake up immediately "I'm sorry for calling you this late" she quickly apologizes 

"It's okay" Jesy said as she checked the time on her phone... 3:45am "Everything all right?" the brunette asked knowing there was probably a reason that couldn't wait until tomorrow  

"Um not... not really" the social worker answered with a sigh "It's Ava" she said and Jesy's whole world stopped 

"It's she, okay?" she asked not letting Kristen continue "What happened?" she said again feeling how her nerves were taking over her. What if she was not okay? If something happened to her? 

"Calm down" Kristen said as she turned to look at Ava that was using to chairs as a bed "She seems to be okay" she said making Jesy finally feel like she could breathe again "The thing is I'm going to need someone to take care of her" she said, and the brunette couldn't help the smile that started forming on her face "I thought you were my best choice... I mean if you are willing to take her"  

"I am" Jesy answered quickly "Do you need me to pick her up?" she asked making the other woman in the line nod 

"That would be great" she said "I'll text you the address" she said and with that their ended the call 

Jesy didn't take long to get ready and leave the house. She couldn't spend one more minute without her little girl. 

As she approached the place of the address, she realized it was a police station. A million questions rumbled through the brunette's mind. She tried to stay positive and not overthink. She didn't want to imagine anyone doing anything to her baby. 

When she finally entered the place, she quickly recognized Kristen and rushed towards her and then she saw her. The toddler was fast asleep, occupying two chairs as a bed, her bag as pillow and fully covered with her blanket 

"I'll call you tomorrow" Kristen said when the brunette was about to say something, cutting Jesy off. It had been a long night and Ava needed to rest. They would have time to talk about it tomorrow "Ava?" she called the little girl "It's someone here that would like to see you" 

Ava slowly started to stir not really ready to wake up yet. She wanted Jesy and if that someone wasn't her then she didn't want it, so she shook her head as she held tightly to Snowball. Kristen sighed, already used to this new attitude Ava had. 

"You sure you don't want to go home?" Jesy asked this time giving it a try. 

Ava quickly opened her eyes at the familiar voice. She sat straight on the chair and rubbed her eyes as she tried to make sure this was actually happening, and her mommy was really there. Suddenly she felt something wet running down her cheeks and realized she was crying. 

"Mommy?" she asked as she looked at Kristen and then at Jesy over and over again "Mommy!" she said finally standing up and rushing towards the woman who quickly kneeled down and received her in her arms not being able to stop the tears herself "You are here" she whimpered feeling her chest ache but with a different feeling this time. She was safe and happy finally all that weight she had been feeling before it was gone "Don't leave me please" 

"I'm here Baba" she said as she rubbed softly Ava's back, trying to get her cries to stop "I'm not going anywhere" she said as she stood up taking the little girl with her, struggling to keep her own tears in "Want to go home?" she asked and felt how the toddler nodded eagerly hidden in her neck "Let's go then" she said smiling at Kristen who quickly grabbed Ava's things and followed her